Thread: Is it the Reeds

Is it the Reeds

I took out my 95 raider and it didn't want to start at the dock. After a while it finally started after I primed it. Only way to keep started was to keep priming. It finally ran up to about 2000 rpm (on gauge) and even with throttle open fully still wouldn't budge higher. I took out and rode it at this and after about 5 minutes it jumped and took off. It ran fine until I let it idle for a few minutes and then it wouldn't go about 2000 rpms. I ran around in it again and then it took off and ran fine. I could speed up and slow etc, like there was no problem.

I thought it was the carbs but I rebuilt and they are clean and no problems. So my other thought is maybe the reeds are stuck?

Anyone heard of this happening with reeds? Is there a way to check without pulling off and visually looking?

+1
    If you know you have good fire, compression, & no fuel issues, check the reeds. The only way to check the reeds is to pull them and visually inspect.

+1
    Reeds dont usually stick, they break and if they break its usually when you are riding full throttle, check to see all your fuel lines are correct, filter is clean and pulse lines are on in the right place.
    If you rebuilt the carbs yourself, you should have basic knowledge about how the internals work, otherwise things could easily be put in the wrong places or certain changes to problems inside the carbs was overlooked.
    Hope this helps
    DP.

when a reed breaks it allows the back pressure from the crank case to be blown back threw the carbs, so usually when a reed goes you can see fuel being blown out of the carbs making your fa's wet.
    Sleeper is right, you should check compression,spark, and fuel delivery before looking at the reeds.

I will recheck everything, but everything was fine.

I can't imagine fuel being restricted to the extent of only allowing 2k rpms and then suddenly kicking in over and over.

In terms of compression I can't explain intermittant issue.

Maybe electrical if not the reeds? Anything with this to check specifically?

I did just change the starter relay during the middle of all this (meaning it died after the issue had already started.) I can't imagine but is it possible that had some effect that I am unaware of.

Quote Originally Posted by jdog800 View Post
    when a reed breaks it allows the back pressure from the crank case to be blown back threw the carbs, so usually when a reed goes you can see fuel being blown out of the carbs making your fa's wet.
    Sleeper is right, you should check compression,spark, and fuel delivery before looking at the reeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by DP. View Post
    Reeds dont usually stick, they break and if they break its usually when you are riding full throttle, check to see all your fuel lines are correct, filter is clean and pulse lines are on in the right place.
    If you rebuilt the carbs yourself, you should have basic knowledge about how the internals work, otherwise things could easily be put in the wrong places or certain changes to problems inside the carbs was overlooked.
    Hope this helps
    DP.
    Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    If you know you have good fire, compression, & no fuel issues, check the reeds. The only way to check the reeds is to pull them and visually inspect.

These guys really know what they are talking about. I feel it is the carbs. There is a slim chance that reeds will let you get a good run then back to crap. Reeds can't get "stuck". They usually kinda stay a bit bent open after wear whick causes blowback the result is wet f/a's(as mentioned above). You could also put your hand over the carbs when they are running to see if you can feel good suction. Sometimes this can be difficult to tell cause all carbs will suck. The best way is a visual(as mentioned above). Usually the reeds get worse and worse. But the carbs can be sticking and cause you to get a good run then one carb gets gummed up or stuck open which make a plug not fire cause it fowled out or no gas getting through the carb into the cyl. Also when was the last time you opened up the carbs and looked at all the check valves and make sure your filter was clean and no debris on the needle and seat? Start with a good carb clean out the see if you have the problem.

Just looked at the post again and notice you said you cleaned the carbs. But i still feel its the carbs. You said you kept hitting the primer to keep it running. That would tell me a fuel issue.
    Last edited by krispaintballz; 08-08-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks for the advice. I rechecked everything and even changed the plugs again. (I just replaced them as well). Needless to say I think one of the plugs was defective, never heard of defective plugs but somehow it was only allowing intermittant ignition. Its running great now.

Thread Information