2000 Genesis will not "stop" starting

Great machine with 250 almost flawless hours. My 15 YO daughter yells to me from the dock " It wont stop starting". The only way to stop the starter motor was to pull the one of the battery leads. I thought it was the solenoid because it read closed on the ski. After I removed the solenoid I bench tested it and it is open. Went back and ohmed the starter switch at the solenoid connection and it works as it should( closed only when the switch is depressed). Then I ohmed the two leads that normally connect to the solenoid( one red from the battery and one red to the starter i am fairly sure) and it reads closed. I do not know what to look for now.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

If you have not already, you can download a Polaris Service manual from here. The 2002 manual should be close, but there are some electrical layout differences.

When you ohmed these wires, was the battery connected up?

The starting circuit is fairly simple. You may be looking for an intermittent short in the start switch wiring (or the switch itself), OR the start solenoid WAS stuck, and has become unstuck on the bench.

If the solenoid is black bodied, you may want to replace it with a new one, which will probably be brown in color. The black ones have been reported to fail more often.

Thanks for the reply

I appreciate the help immensely. No the battery is not connected because if it were the starter engages. I am baffled though by the fact that if I ohm the two large red wires that connect to the solenoid, when the solenoid is not connected, I read continuity.This is not the case on my 2000 model. On the battery side connection of the solenoid there is the large wire to the battery and a smaller red wire that feeds the electrical box and on the output side of the solenoid just one large red wire that surely goes to the starter. When I ohm this on the other ski I own it reads open.

The starter switch itself is likely corroded badly and sticks, or has enough leakage to allow the solenoid to stay closed after the initial pulse. I would thinks its very unlikely for a NO solenoid to fail closed...

I would inspect that starter button.

+1
    river, let's take a little different approach to this.
    Attach all the cabling back up, other than the large red wire leading from the solenoid to the starter so we can make some simple tests.

With a test light, see if you have power leaving the solenoid, if you do the starter would be running if the wire were attached.
    Disconnect the red/yellow wire from the solenoid, is there still power leaving the solenoid?
    If yes, replace the solenoid.
    If no, we need to have you check the start switch.
    Let us know what you find.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by backrivertom View Post
    I am baffled though by the fact that if I ohm the two large red wires that connect to the solenoid, when the solenoid is not connected, I read continuity. .
    if you connect power and it cranks,,,you should be able to find the prob
    the intermittent ones are the tough ones to find
    BAD SOLINIOD -welded inturnals-my 2 cents
    ohm the 2 sides of the soliniod
    welcome to the forum
    mattman

+1
    starter solenoid is bad .Replace it with the fawn colored one .Common issue with them is for them to stick on .Tap it and it will go off .The spring that holds the contacts apart dies and there is nothing to push the buss bar away .Lucky you caught it .Usually they ride off and destroy starter and bendix
    Cheers

Bernie

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    OR the start solenoid WAS stuck, and has become unstuck on the bench.

If the solenoid is black bodied, you may want to replace it with a new one, which will probably be brown in color. The black ones have been reported to fail more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Disconnect the red/yellow wire from the solenoid, is there still power leaving the solenoid?
    If yes, replace the solenoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    BAD SOLINIOD -welded inturnals-my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    starter solenoid is bad .Replace it with the fawn colored one
    Hmmmn, looking like a pattern here. I'd still test it under failing conditions, JUST to make sure.

I will check it out

Thanks for all the replies...................now let me try a few thing and I will post back!

tom

Thread Information