+1

02 GTX Driveline Issue

I recently completely went through a 02 GTX 4tec NA. The engine is running great but the driveline has much more spline mesh noise than my other GTX. I need some help, because I am not sure what to do next. Here are some facts:1) The driveshaft had to be replaced on rebuild. I purchased one for a NA GTX, but the seller didn't specify the year. If you believe the sbt parts website they are the same part for 02-04. 2). The replacement shaft was shorter than the removed shaft by 1/8. In addition, the 02 shaft had orings for the rear seal on the shaft versus in the rear oil seal. I believe this is a seadoo design change. I am using the upgraded seal and shaft. The shat fits tightly in the driveline. There is no slop. 3). I did the alignment of the pump and it was dead on. 4). There is good oil seal and no water leakage at the carbon seal. There is also no carbon seal movement. It is rock solid. 5). I opened the pump during the rebuild and all was normal. Bearings were fine.6). A new shaft bumper and nosecone seal were used during reassembly. I know this all looks like "good to go", but the noise difference is significant. I do not want to screw up this engine, so I need some diagnosis help!

Did you use the BRP shaft alignment tool? Was it yours or did you borrow it and have it shipped to you? The reason that I ask is sometimes those tools get bent slightly during shipment... Ron

+1
    It is a SBT rig. I rotated it to check for straightness. I had a good fit at every angle. I also have a steady wear ring - which is somewhat of a check. I do plan to check it again.

+1
    how many hrs?? my 03 GTX started to make a mild "drone like" noise at wot around 200 hours....(sold it)

+1
    Ok, how about a little different twist to this thread to see if I can get some more responses. Assuming that the driveline is OK, how do I reduce driveline noise? I assume it comes from the impeller end of the shaft?? Will a billet nosecone help?

Thread Information