Thread: Gp1300 Oil Pump

Gp1300 Oil Pump

I have a yamaha 1300. The oil pump seems to not work. The motor blew.. i basically have a new engine minues 2 cyl. Should I buy a new oil pump or premix? Or buy a new oil pump and add a little oil to the fuel tank anyway while adjusting the oil pump accordingly?

05 GP1300R
    Riva/Solas Impeller
    Riva D Plate
    Riva EFI Control Unit
    Riva Performance Pump Cone
    Riva Jet Trim Seat Cover

+1
    How do you know it was the oil pump?
    Go premix and you will never have to worry; unless you screw up on mixing.

what do you do? do you premix or leave the oil pump?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gilou119 View Post
    what do you do? do you premix or leave the oil pump?
    Before you do this, get as much gas out of your tank. Depending on what is still in the tank, you will need to add some extra oil to your fuel mix to compensate.
    As for actually converting to premix, you need to replace the oil pump with a block off plate and pull the oil level float out in order to tie up the floats so they will think the oil reservoir is full; I use a thick zip tie under each float. To get to the pump, unless you have long skinny arms, you will need to pull the u-pipe to get down to the pump. As for your oil lines and where they terminate at the engine, you need to put some type of cap on each oil port.

so you dont use the pump on any of your skis?

+1
    so you dont use the pump on any of your skis?
    Nope! I have seen way too many oil lines come off and too many skis have seizers because of these POS oil lines. My EFI boat is even pre-mix. IMO, it is cheap insurance. Yes, you will use more oil than leaving it in, but it is better than rebuilding.

does it make a difference between taking out the oil pump on a fuel injected ski like my 1300 and a carburator. The guys at riva said that its better for the fuel injected skis to not premix?

+1
    does it make a difference between taking out the oil pump on a fuel injected ski like my 1300 and a carburator. The guys at riva said that its better for the fuel injected skis to not premix?
    I never hear that but i would assume that they are referring to the fact that if the pump is working properly, it would give consistent oil flow and the EFI system may be less forgiving than a calibrated boat.
    I am sure some of the EFI gurus could offer a better opinion than me.
    I know that I have about 40 hours on my EFI boat since I did a lot of mods and went pre-mix. All still good.

+1
    It is perfectly OK to premix on a EFI boat. Many on the forum have 100+ hours on modified motors using premix. Use a good oil like Amsoil or any synthetic, and you should not have any problems. Don't premix with Walmart brand oil, IMO.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    Before you do this, get as much gas out of your tank. Depending on what is still in the tank, you will need to add some extra oil to your fuel mix to compensate.
    As for actually converting to premix, you need to replace the oil pump with a block off plate and pull the oil level float out in order to tie up the floats so they will think the oil reservoir is full; I use a thick zip tie under each float. To get to the pump, unless you have long skinny arms, you will need to pull the u-pipe to get down to the pump. As for your oil lines and where they terminate at the engine, you need to put some type of cap on each oil port.
    What I did on a friends Venture 1100 (impossible to access oil pump)when we went to premix was to take the three oil lines off the carbs, plug carb fittings, and tee'd those three lines together and run a line from there to the oil pump "return to oil tank" line, thereby making a loop of the oil going in a circle. Leave oil in tank, leave pump on engine, no problem with oil level sensor, no having to take boat apart to access oil pump, and easy to put back stock if you want.

PS. My Dad had stickers made up to put by gas fill "PREMIX ONLY" to remind any other big hearted riders not to fill except with premix. He lets others ride his boats.

Thread Information