...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1

What Voltage Should You Start To Get Worried?

I have some leftover Gauges from my old Race Car in my Garage that are going to slowly make their way onto my S150, and I was thinking about throwing the Voltage Gauge in there tonight.

So my question is, after sitting for a while with the Boat off and just the Radio playing (no External Amp, only the Head Unit using power) how low could I let the Voltage go before I would have to worry about the Engine having trouble Starting?

I did upgrade the Battery to a MASSIVE Stinger SP1700 (Max Peak Discharge: 3500 Amps 5-Second Cranking Output: 1700 Amps Cold Cranking Output: 1200 Amps) from my old Show Truck. So I think I could run the Radio for 12+ hours on it and still be fine, but I just want to know a good "safety" number for the Voltage.

+1
    Well, just went down and threw it in. Looks good, nice, quick, and clean install.

You should be concerned if the needle is on 12 or below. The voltage meter I have has a default alarm set to go off at 12.10v; it's reprogrammable, but the documentation says that below 12.10 starts getting into dangerous territory. Just a note, when I was working on my two-battery system, I went with a "cranking" battery that always starts the engine, and a "deep cycle" that always powers the stereo. Deep cycles are meant to discharged down to 20% or so and recover back to 100% with a charge. You can damage a cranking battery by discharging it below 90%. I considered two deep-cycles, but read that it's not good for a deep cycle to be used as a cranking battery on a continual basis. I can switch to use both batteries at once, but that would just be for an emergency.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010707.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	279.6 KB 
ID:	87580  

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    usually when i get skis in for service from customers... they usually wont even start with 12.1 or 12.2 volts ... strictly speaking of 4-tec motors.. that's been my experience

+1
    Adding a second Battery would be a waste to me. Pointless added weight, and it's just not needed.

The Battery I got in there is a friggin Tank. It sat for over 2 years, not on a Tender or anything, and I put a DMM on it, and it read 11.87v. Used it as it sat to jump start my friends car and it fired right up.

Thread Information