Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much is too much oil

I pulled my cyl's today and noticed that I have aboout a 1/2 to 1" oil collected in the bottom of the crank case. Is this normal or maybe an issue from being stored and the oil drained back? or....should I remove it all or just leave it? It does seem to be keeping the rod bearings just wet and probally splashing the walls I imagine.

Engine ran fine, good compression and cyl's look new. I took it apart to bolt on some 1300's and to deal with some worn PV's.

Thanks

+1
    I think your fine. You want oil in the crankcase on a two stroke.

+1
    I end up dumping some in when I do motor builds I lube all the crank bearings liberaly and it ends up draining into the case no biggee at all.

Does it matter what kind of oil to use? I've read that 4 stroke oil should be used in the bottom end. Any comments with this?

KM

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
    Does it matter what kind of oil to use? I've read that 4 stroke oil should be used in the bottom end. Any comments with this?

KM
    yes this is correct 4 stroke oil goes in the bottom end of a 4 STROKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So two stroke oil, only in the bottom end of a two stroke?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
    ...I have about a 1/2 to 1" oil collected in the bottom of the crank case...
    I am not a Yamaha engine expert, but my understanding is that you should not have a large amount of liquid oil sloshing about in the crankcase of a 2-stroke engine.

Small dribbles of liquid oil found inside the crankcase is fine, but an inch of liquid oil depth seems like a lot. If the liquid oil gets pumped up into the cylinder head, it could hydraulically lock the engine, which causes damage.

When a 2-stroke engine is running at high RPM, there is only a misting of 2-stroke oil inside the crankcase, not a pool of liquid sitting in the bottom.

On a 2-stroke engine, you only use 2-stroke oil, and you only put it into the oil tank (not the crankcase), OR if the system is set up for pre-mixed oil+gasoline, then the 2-stroke oil goes into the gas tank, in the proper proportion.

You don't normally poor liquid 2-stroke oil into the crankcase of a 2-stroke engine, other than some dribbles during a repair or rebuild, or perhaps if you are trying to recover a water flooded engine.

Are you sure it is just oil in there, and not oil plus water?

If you have ANY water inside the crank case, you need to get it out right away. Water causes rust, and rusted bearings are very bad for an engine.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I am not a Yamaha engine expert, but my understanding is that you should not have a large amount of liquid oil sloshing about in the crankcase of a 2-stroke engine.

Small dribbles of liquid oil found inside the crankcase is fine, but an inch of liquid oil depth seems like a lot. If the liquid oil gets pumped up into the cylinder head, it could hydraulically lock the engine, which causes damage.

When a 2-stroke engine is running at high RPM, there is only a misting of 2-stroke oil inside the crankcase, not a pool of liquid sitting in the bottom.

On a 2-stroke engine, you only use 2-stroke oil, and you only put it into the oil tank (not the crankcase), OR if the system is set up for pre-mixed oil+gasoline, then the 2-stroke oil goes into the gas tank, in the proper proportion.

You don't normally poor liquid 2-stroke oil into the crankcase of a 2-stroke engine, other than some dribbles during a repair or rebuild, or perhaps if you are trying to recover a water flooded engine.

Are you sure it is just oil in there, and not oil plus water?

If you have ANY water inside the crank case, you need to get it out right away. Water causes rust, and rusted bearings are very bad for an engine.
    Yes I am 100% positive that there was no water in the bottom end. I'm the original owner and the jugs have never been off before.

If it was cranked and did not start the oil would accumulate in the case , as soon as it runs it will purge , like Bill stated and what I also do is dowse the bearings with 2 stroke when I rebuild so the first run is well lubricated but smoky , no biggie

+1
    Just to elaborate a bit on this subject. I oil the bearings during a rebuild, that's it! the lubrication comes from fuel oil mix after that. If you have a large amount of oil in the cases it could be a faulty oil pump or some other anomaly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information