Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cavitation/-1mph caused by green prop nose cone thingy being loose (RXP-X)???

Hey guys,

Well, I've been a bit dissapointed with the ski the past week or so. Installed my new mods and had good speeds/accell, and then a few hours after I did the mods it lost a little over 1mph and cavitates a little bit out of the hole.

Thought about the wear ring, but it seems good. Then I noticed that the anodized green thing that screws into the prop and rides the drive shaft has come off the prop and is "floating" on the drive shaft. Now obviously I am going to fix this really quick after work today, but my question is could that alone be enough to cause the described behavior? Just wondering...

-=Mike G.

I couldn't say about the cavitation...but it'll deffinately scrub speed.

The impeller cone can cause some speed loss. There was a post a few days ago about the piece sliding forward and causing the carbon seal to leak. Some take it off all together and claim a 1 mph gain... Ron

It will cause both for sure. As stated, remove it.

+1
    It makes a good paper weight.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRXP Steve View Post
    It will cause both for sure. As stated, remove it.
    REALLY??? What's the freakin' point then? It has a couple of rubber o-rings in it to seal something... or not.

Seriously, anybody know what the "engineered" point is to this piece? Is it supposed to smooth out water flow or something?

-=Mike G.

Banned User
    +1
    You can either remove it...or use some silcone on the threads when you screw it on...Either solution will work...

It is supposed to keep salt water out; I was having problems with mine sliding forward, and ran without it once in salt water. Next time I pulled the pump, rust had already begun to form on the teeth. It's a very hard area to rinse properly, unless you launch and run for a minute in freshwater immediately after every saltwater outting. Also makes putting the pump back in a lot easier. Now, I just put a couple dabs of red loctite on there and it stays in place, and heat up the nose when it's time to take it off.

So, basically it keeps water from coming in contact with the splines of the driveshaft and the prop? Hmmm... I ride in freshwater only, but I still don't know if it's a good idea to let water in there.

Is there a general consensus that removing this will improve performance, or are we more along the lines of "filling the ride plate holes" that make a difference for some, but not a lot for others?

I'm taking care of this one way or another in about 3 hours, so any quick help is appreciated.

EDIT: Just did some searching and read about needing to drill holes in the nose cone (pump side). In certain cases this was done to prevent air/water getting trapped between the driveshaft and prop/pump and pushing the driveshaft forward when heated. The driveshaft will get pushed up into the carbon ring and cause leakage and carbon seal failure. Thinking of just taking it off like others have said and saying screw it.

-=Mike G.
    Last edited by Mikey G.; 08-08-2008 at 02:01 PM.

I had the same thing happen last week I will find out tomorrow if the cavitation is better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information