Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any Harm in Pulling a Double Trailer with one Ski?

I am about to move my RXT From Dallas to Daytona Beach Fl where i will be putting a GTX on the trailer with it. Is there any harm in driving that far with only one ski on the trailer?

I had a warranty issue with my RXT back in 06 where the dealer had it for 2 weeks (parts on backorder)... I towed my RXP back and forth from the dealer and 2 trips to the river while the RXT was off the trailer with no issues. I know that is not nearly as far as Dallas to Daytona but I dont see how it would hurt.

your gonna love it in florida the water on the east coast is so much nicer than the gulf. i dont see that it would be badon the trailer you may have a little more wear on one tire then the other.. "switch the ski to the other side after 300 miles" lol j/k.. I think you'll be fine. enjoy the east coast

Oh ya I go to school in daytona were we have had a GTX for a year or so, this summer I bought a RXT in texas and have had it here since i bought it. There are some great lakes down there. No better way to spend a day.

David

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Pump up the trailer tire pressure on the loaded side to max spec'ed air pressure, and lower the pressure on the other side by 10 PSI or so. This should even out the tire drag between the two sides.

Not a big improvement, and if you just keep both tires at full pressure, it will still pull just fine.

I have pulled hundreds of miles with only one PWC on a double Triton Elite. No problems at all.
    Last edited by K447; 08-09-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    I am doing it on a weekendly basis until I find a single trailer for mine. I figured it would tow funny, but so far no problems.

Good to hear, thanks for all the responses I picked up a trailer tonight so I will be making the 1000 mile trip on friday night through the morning. Thanks once again
    David

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguytki View Post
    ...I picked up a trailer tonight so I will be making the 1000 mile trip on Friday night through the morning...
    Go over the entire trailer carefully. Check everything, just in case. All bolts, fittings, wiring, tire condition, age, and air pressure.

Make sure the coupler latch tension is properly snug on the ball (adjustment nut is usually underneath the coupler).

Make sure the bearings are properly greased, and hand check bearing temps at every stop. Warm is OK, cannot touch it without hurting is too hot.

Plan a safe trip, have a safe trip!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailer coupler tension adjustment nut.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	88405  

Thanks alot for the information, really appriciate it!
    David

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    I have an RXT and an Ultra250X on a double trailer. I had to drop off the Ultra for some warranty work. It always bugged me to see the trailer heavily loaded on one side, but it never gave me any problems. Granted, I was only going 20 miles at a time.

If I were to go a long distance, I think I would load the other side of the trailer with something -- even if it was just my suitcases or toolbox or something, just to make it not bounce around funny.

Also, I would put the ski on the left (driver's) side of the trailer. That way, when you are driving on a crowned road or if you happend to run the trailer a little off the road to the right, all that weight isn't on the tire that is running in the ditch....just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information