Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Jim`s ff plate comparison?

I want to start off by making it ( VERY CLEAR )i am not starting a pissing match here so DONT go there with this! I have shared this with jim and he knows the speed problems im having,but in comparing 2 different plates an early R&D package plate and jims latest ff plate i discovered somthing very different about the 2 plates,,and i want everyone who has a jims ff plate to check theres and see if theres is like mine.I realise these plates vary from the factory and this is my concern.but on the old plate it is perfectly flat all the way across where the bolt holes go and on the jims ff plate on both sides there is an aweful hook from front to back in this same area,,in fact you can slide a quarter under it in the middle.keep in mind that jim does not machine this area, this came from R&D like this and is in NO WAY jims doing.i am getting the exact same speeds with both plates,,i have been doing tweaking here and there and have managed to get my ski to 78.4 mph with 1200 grate.look at these pics you can see what im talking about.i want to know if you guys running 80+ mph jims ff plates are hooked like mine is.
    thanks jeff007
    the old plate is the one black around the edges,,could this be causing a speed loss?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski pump.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	87667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski pump 012.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	87668  
    Last edited by jeff007; 08-08-2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: adding pic

+1
    here is a better pic of the hook in the ff plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski pump 018.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	87671  

+1
    Hey Jeff.Going back to your old post,i got these pics you posted.I see a couple problems.Picture 1 of pump shoe,you have 2 holes drilled in it,that has been proven to be a speed loss.Picture 2 of the pump,look at how much was ground out of the nozzle.That big hole,IMO,is causing alot of pressure loss/thrust (speed loss) and needs to be fixed.The 1456 motor you have at those rpm's ,your ski should be 82+++mph with the right setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by WATER WOODY; 08-08-2008 at 01:29 PM.

+1
    Woody,
    The nozzle has been replaced with a new one,no longer has that hole in it!!
    as far as the holes in the shoe we have plugged them with apoxy from the top and it made no difference in speed,, i was at around 65 mph then. ive gained the extra mph by sanding all of the hook out of the rear of hull,a new impeller pitch from impros and put a shorter steering nozzle on and thats where im at at this point.
    im just curious if the plate could be causing a speed loss. i wish i had another ff plate to try, that way i could rule it out.the original package plate has a really bad place in it as well so its hard to get a good comparison between the two plates.thats why i want to know if everyone elses plate is the same as mine then i can rule it out as well.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Hello Jeff when i talked to you on the phone about the plate i said that i have tested it with the bolt surface machined and to be honest with you i could not see a real gain in speed. And i said if you like ship the plate down to me and i will machine it so you can try it but i think you have another problem and i also said it would be nice if you can bring the ski down to see why it's running low numbers.
    The reason why i say i think it's something else is you are not down a couple tenths or a half mile or so. Were a fine tuning of the plate or some truing will make up, That ski is down 4 mph. Like i told you on the phone my offer still stands you can send the plate to me to true the bolt area but be prepaired that when you install the plate back you will still be looking for your missing speed. Thank you, Jim

+1
    Jeff, after reading this post I went and checked my plate and it is the same about 1/8" dip. I have run 83.2 with this plate and my 1300 setup. My plate is a Fercho pkg J plate with "FF" mod added & with channels filled.

+1
    You might see a couple of tenths but thats it, probably nothing.
    I have ran over 90 mph with a warp plate and the biggest hook
    cave in the plate that you can even image. No speed loss.
    Like Jim said your speed issue is somewhere else. Hull?, prop? Shoe?
    But not in that plate. Ben

I also think your speed loss is in the pump shoe, hull, grate, or maybe the prop.

Are you getting any water in the hull? Is the shoe hanging down? Just .030" can cause a major speed loss in the right areas and you can't see it just by looking at it. Just my 2-cents.

+1
    O.K. i`ll just rule out the plate all together,,for now im just going to leave it as is,i dont want to start tearing out the pump shoe or the transume plate in the middle of riding season,,Jim thanks for the offer on the plate but i`ll take your word on it. thanks again guys jeff007

+1

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jeff007 View Post
    Woody,
    The nozzle has been replaced with a new one,no longer has that hole in it!!
    as far as the holes in the shoe we have plugged them with apoxy from the top and it made no difference in speed,, i was at around 65 mph then. ive gained the extra mph by sanding all of the hook out of the rear of hull,a new impeller pitch from impros and put a shorter steering nozzle on and thats where im at at this point.
    im just curious if the plate could be causing a speed loss. i wish i had another ff plate to try, that way i could rule it out.the original package plate has a really bad place in it as well so its hard to get a good comparison between the two plates.thats why i want to know if everyone elses plate is the same as mine then i can rule it out as well.
    not to interrupt this thread, but you mention a good speed tip everyone should pay attention to on the GPR hull.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information