Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Single PWC Trailer... Help Needed

Hi all,

I just bought an '03 GTX 4-Tec Supercharged. It didn't come with a trailer so I borrowed one. I then found an '01 Triton LT aluminum single place which the guy said would adjust to my size (I could see the holes where the winch mount could move forward). Anyway I moved it forward, but I can't pull the boat all the way on because it would hit the frame where the tongue comes back and meets the sides. I can't adjust the bunks any higher without modifying them. Any advice? I also saw the capacity was 900 lbs but it only has 8" wheels. I read somewhere if I put 12" wheels on it, the load rating would be higher. I really would like to keep it, but I can't use it the way I have it. I'm looking at buying a brand new Karavan steel trailer but it's about the same length, just the bunks sit up higher. This Triton is a really nice trailer and in perfect shape so I'd hate to have to make the change.

So is there way I can raise the bunks (spacers or something)? I could replace the 2 x 4's with 4 x 4's (probably not the best). I could maybe change the bunks so the side is against the hull (not sure if that would give me enough). Maybe mount a roller where it would hit but then it would pick up the hull off the front part of the bunks?

I'll be trailering a lot (about 300 miles/weekend) so I need something that will hold up.

I'm about ready to just buy the Karavan, but I keep thinking I should be able to make it work.

Thanks!

+1
    Try bringing the bunks closer together. It will raise the watercraft.

+1
    Welcome to the board!

Thanks!

Unfortunately the bunks are as close to the center as they can get. Instead of a bracket, there is a rail with a sliding bolt. It is less than 12" long and does not go near the center of the trailer. Plus as I bring them in, they get lower.

I can post some pics in a little bit if that would help.

+1
    Put some pics up and we will figure it out.

Here are the pictures.

These two show where it would hit

This shows the space left on the tongue

This shows how much it currently hangs off the back (not good, negative tongue weight)

And finally these are the brackets holding the bunks. Not much flexiability here...

I took it to the sea-doo dealer today also and they were not able to come up with any new ideas. They kept saying it was too small, but it's the same size as the trailers they were selling.

You show no pics of the axle/spring perches - any chance you can move the axle rearwards a bit to increase tongue weight?

if not, you will need to raise the front of the bunks up a bit (if not the rear as well) and do the same to the bow roller.

+1
    you can do 2 things

1- take the ski off take the whole bunk off with the bracket and rotate them make the front of the bunk go to the back but keep them on the same side this will allow the bunks to go closer together
    2- get a jigsaw ( or something ) and cut most of that channel off it serves no purpose

but first try reversing the bunks

Maybe it's just me, but I like your 4x4 idea.

In fact, I just scanned the thread until I saw the pictures and that was the first solution that I thought of. Then I read your first post and realized that you already identified that as a possible solution.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Buy the newer style bunk support brackets from Triton?

I think they will slot into your existing bracket support rails. The newer brackets have two places for the bunk bolts, one side is higher, lifts the hull up. They can be installed with either side towards the center.

Here is a photo of the bunk support brackets on my 2008 Triton Elite WC-2.

Give Triton a call, see if these brackets will fit your model.

BTW, note the stiffening aluminum rib running underneath the length of the bunk. That was stock from Triton.

You can add similar ribs to yours, since your PWC is probably heavier than what Triton had in mind when they spec'ed your bunks.

I replaced the bunks on another older Triton double trailer last year, and I added 1 inch aluminum U channel (Home Depot) to the bottom of the new bunks. Worked out well, using SS screws and washers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB079419c.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	526.9 KB 
ID:	87814  
    Last edited by K447; 08-09-2008 at 01:29 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information