Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Installed auto-trim on my T-X

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=876

I got this when I got my performer kit, and just never installed it. Well, I finally go around to installing it. The bad thing was that I lost the instructions.

It was not difficult to install. If you are comfortable removing your pump nozzle, and a few bolts, you should be able to figure it out.

This thing is trick as hell. Whoever figured out how to do this is a genius.

I like to ride on the buoy course, and have for the last few weeks, been "practicing" and experimenting with different trim settings. None of the trim settings was ideal. The problem I had with full nose up was that the ski would just not turn very quickly, or wash out in the turns. With the trim full nose down, the ski would bite hard on the initial turn in, then sometimes when I hit my own wake or waves, would skip, hard. This hurt my back, to say the least.

I installed the auto-trim, and did nothing with the adjustments. I just left everything the way it came from R&D. Well, they got it pretty damn close. The first thing I noticed was that the steering stayed centered, which was cool for cruising. It was not difficult to turn the handlebars, and really I don't notice any "spring pressure" or difficulting in turning the handlebars from the center position.

I should also mention that I got the VTS holeshot rod. Without it, you don't have the ability to move your nozzle in the center position full down. You would want that ability if you drag race, or want to keep the nose down under hard acceleration from a standing start.

I tried to few turns up river. Man, this thing is smooth. The transition from full nose up, to nose down in the turn isn't noticeable, but the increase in turning forces is.

Then I went over to the buoy course. This would have been a good test if the buoys stayed in one place. But they don't. People move them around, and sometimes one or two disappear, so lap time comparisions are difficult at best.

I tried to set up the buoys like I normally ride them, and then time myself using the GPS time moving feature, and average and top speed, to see what, if any difference this made. More on that later.

The first thing I noticed, was that the ski was very predictable in the turns, and turned much harder, but without the bouncing and jolting I had experienced before with the trim full down, over waves/wakes. Not sure why that is. It now seemed like my 10' T-X handled like a jet fighter. It was effortless to carve from turn to turn. I had the VTS trimmed full nose up, so when I came to waves/wakes, I just centered the handlebars and cruised over them without any problems.

Now the lap time difference. Before the auto trim, the best I was able to do on the 8 buoy course, was about 33 seconds a lap. Top speed was 52mph...and the average was 35mph.
    With the auto-trim I easily dropped to 30 seconds a lap, no back jarring jolts across the bumps, top speed was 60mph, and the average was 38mph. Now this is not scientific, or back to back tests, so your results may vary.

I have to say I'm very pleased with the auto-trim nozzle. Its really not noticeable when you cruise. Even full speed turns at over 60mph or very predicatble, and much smoother than before.

Now I have to get a degree type level so I can do some adjusting. I'm really not sure if the nozzle if full down at max turn angle, and I'm not even sure if they are even left to right. They look even, and full down, but I want to tweak it just a bit. There's plenty of adjustment, and I'm thinking I may want the nozzle further down in one direction than the other because all ski's tend to turn better in one direction.
    Last edited by iflyems; 08-08-2008 at 03:31 PM.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    sounds great man...if u could throw a pic or 2 it would be appreciated.....hope the one for the SHO works that well....

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    sounds great man...if u could throw a pic or 2 it would be appreciated.....hope the one for the SHO works that well....
    Did ya click on the linky?? Picture is there.

The one on the SHO actually worked better. The SHO is a g-force animal when it turns. Was real hard to hold on. I don't know if its available yet, but the SHO mule had it on from the first time I rode it. I've never ridden a SHO without one.

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Did ya click on the linky?? Picture is there.

The one on the SHO actually worked better. The SHO is a g-force animal when it turns. Was real hard to hold on. I don't know if its available yet, but the SHO mule had it on from the first time I rode it. I've never ridden a SHO without one.
    I like seeing it on the actual ski.......i should be downloading that dyno app onto the i-pod soon...ill keep u informed of the results .....

Sounds great! I am definetly going to add the auto-trim kit to my RXT in the near future!

Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    yea a pic of it on your ski would be cool.

Banned User
    +1
    You can't see anything because the reverse bucket is in the way. In one of the pictures you can see the VTS holeshot rod.

shots from the side look pretty trick...very nice.....thx for posting

pssstt...drop the bucket and get a shot from the top

gratz man...nice setup...will definitely be lookinh to get that on my SHO

Banned User
    +1
    Doh....now why didn't I think of that;

Banned User
    +1
    Heres a few more pictures of the auto-trim nozzle, without all the hardware attached, compared to the stock nozzle. You'll notice its longer, and has no ridges inside.

Inside of stock nozzle

Inside of auto-trim nozzle

Side by side

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information