+1

GIO: after a certain hours no need to worry?

All,
    I was killing time today, wandered past a local shop- the largest on Long Island(those of you who live here know i'm talking about).I was told that for everyONE 250 that goes out the door 2 seadoo's squeeze past.. you would think that here, where the water is never like a lake you would think that the Boat MADE for rough water would be the clear winner.The tech and one of the salesman told me this.. So NATURALLY they had plenty seadoo's in stock and only a few Kawi's.I guess speed is the answer, they both told me that seadoos are fast out of the crate if you want them faster then you start turning wrenches.

That ain't why i started this..There has been a load of chatter here about the GIO problem.. I asked the tech today about this problem.. He asked me point blank "how many hours you have?" I told himn"52" He told me "not to worry".
    I have never heard of this before..I have seen many people on here with the GIO problem with different number of hours. I feel he was telling me that if it has not happaned yet it wont. is there any truth to this.?. or dont let this guy near my ski .

Sea Doo Sales seem to be 2-1 compared to Kawi. As for the GIO, more than likely he does not even know what the acronym means. Tell him to contact Lordblack, as he is the one that phrased it!

From everything I have read I would say he is right. Those of us with GIO (I have it bad) had it from day one and it doesn't seem to get any better or worse (except with how hard you ride it). If you haven't noticed GIO at 52 hours and you do monitor your oil level then you are one of the lucky ones who do not have it and will not get it.
    This convinces me more and more that the GIO problem is related to the gaps in the rings being aligned or some defect in the rings or cylinder walls (tolerances) that occured on some machines but not others.

+1
    hey,
    when i mentioned it to the tech.. i made sure i said "gas in the oil" then after that i was just used the acronym. I am the 2nd owner of this ski. the guy who had it was a certified nut- fananatic about everything.. for instance.. while we were in his garage talking about me buying the ski his wife came in from being out she had his dodge P/U.. he inspected the inside and took out the mats and went to the storm drain and shoof of the sand whatever.. it was then i noticed is tools on a pegboard with a magic marker outline so he would know what went where.. kid's removed shoes before going into the house... i could go on... what i'm getting at here is the manual calls for certain things to be done during the break in period.
    I have no doubt that he did do it properly.I have read that some of the folks who have the GIO problem might be related to the break in period..
    I bought the ski LAST SUMMER when they were still going for a good buck.. I'm afraid that i did let this guy down a bit... it's not as pretty as when i first puled it out of his driveway.i'll fix all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    From everything I have read I would say he is right. Those of us with GIO (I have it bad) had it from day one and it doesn't seem to get any better or worse (except with how hard you ride it). If you haven't noticed GIO at 52 hours and you do monitor your oil level then you are one of the lucky ones who do not have it and will not get it.
    This convinces me more and more that the GIO problem is related to the gaps in the rings being aligned or some defect in the rings or cylinder walls (tolerances) that occured on some machines but not others.
    +1

GIG,

From what I hear, you baby your Ultra and don't ride hard. It would seem from your many posts that you don't have the problem but are obsessing about it....Be happy you don't!

Ride....be happy

+1

Smile

Yeah,
    you're right. I'm like that with all of my toys.I would not it's an obsession but i did worry about it. I got into this hobby because i thought it was trouble free(well kind of) and the first thing i hear of is the GIO... I'm loosening up sure enough.. The main reason i got this this ski was purely because of the fact that it's the best type of boat for the kind of water i have access to. I still think that i made the right choice.

I have an 07 with 48 hours on it from the second run they did in June / July. I don't know if they figured things out later in the year but I have ZERO NADA ZILCH GIO. I rode it pretty hard out of the gate, changed the oil and filter after first 2 hours then again at 10, 20 and 40 hours...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69234

You guys should put this information in link above. Helps pinpiont a total and keeps this subject from being rehashed.

Thread Information