Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Questions About An Extended Pump on a 95 SLT750

I'm considering installing an extended pump on my '95 SLT750. I'm told I need to lengthen the steering and reverse cables.

Anyone done this? What's the easiest way? Is this mod worth the effort?

Thanks!!!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Yes. yes, and yes....

Make a 4" extension for the steering cable out of SS threaded rod and a coupling nut.

Not sure about the reverse cable since mine is only a 2 seater though.

The pump does add better steering and more top speed, so it is worth it to me.

Thanks, Xlint!

A guy I know has the whole "kit" including a wedge and a brand new impeller. He wants $40 for it....I just wondered if it was worth the time and effort. Sounds like it is.

Is it a big job?

+1
    Simple swap four eight bolts and three waterlines.. $40 for the complete set-up with driveshaft???

Yes. $40 for a box of parts which is supposed to include a pump (less stator), a driveshaft, reverse bucket, a wedge (degree unknown) and a new impeller (pitch unknown). Supposed to be everything I need except a method to extend the cables.

He had an old SL750 at the same time he owned my SLT750 and tried to put the extended pump on the SL when he realized he didn't have the hardware to make the steering and trim work, so he gave up. He has since sold both skis - the SLT to me and now just wants to dump the box of parts to clean out the garage.

So, this sounds like a relatively simple & worthwhile swap for a good price? Are you recommending I jump on this?

+1
    If you dont want it ill take it..

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Yes it's worth while.

You'll need to find out if the impeeller is the right one for a 750 before installing it.

To make the kit work, you'll need the longer drive shaft, wear ring/extension, longer cooling tube, longer bolts, cable extensions and pump wedge. A longer ride plate would be beneficial as well.

Everything else you already have.

He told me the longer driveshaft is there, the extension/wear ring, pump wedge, along with the cooling tube. I forgot to mention that in the previous post. He didn't specifically say longer bolts, but since he almost had it installed in his SL750, I've got to believe the bolts are there too.

Since I seem to be on a roll, two more dumb questions......

1) Can't I use the existing impeller I have now? He was throwing in all his "extra" parts, but I wasn't necessarily planning on using them all. What is the ideal impeller for a stock SLT750?

2) What do you guys recommend for a ride plate?

If I decide I don't want to install this stuff, I'll let you guys know. If I don't use it, you can have it for what I pay plus shipping to you.

Thanks, as always, for the advice!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by way2much2do View Post
    He told me the longer driveshaft is there, the extension/wear ring, pump wedge, along with the cooling tube. I forgot to mention that in the previous post. He didn't specifically say longer bolts, but since he almost had it installed in his SL750, I've got to believe the bolts are there too.

Since I seem to be on a roll, two more dumb questions......

1) Can't I use the existing impeller I have now? He was throwing in all his "extra" parts, but I wasn't necessarily planning on using them all. What is the ideal impeller for a stock SLT750? Yes you can use the one you have.

2) What do you guys recommend for a ride plate? That would depend on what type of riding and water conditions you ride in.

If I decide I don't want to install this stuff, I'll let you guys know. If I don't use it, you can have it for what I pay plus shipping to you. Cool

Thanks, as always, for the advice!!

Riding Conditions: Smooth water, small inland lakes only

Can anyone recommend an extended ride plate and an impeller to go with an extended pump for a stock SLT750?

Is it worth trying to find a SS 6 vane stator? If so, where would one look for something like this? Does anyone still make them, or would I have to find a used one?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information