Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: gelcoat repairs

gelcoat repairs

Hey guys does anyone know of a way to fix chips in gelcoat? I have a few chips in my 2003 XPDI that are down to the fiberglass under the gelcoat, and they are an eye sore! anyone know of a fix thanks!

It's pretty easy. There's how too's on here somewhere. I saved $$ and got the fiberglass tub repair kit from Home Depot. It comes with a big batch of gel coat. You just need to buy the pigment from west marine or somewhere if you want it to be any collor other then white. You gotta work fast though. It sets up in like 3 mins! Or make small batches as you need it.

+1
    The Spectrum Color Patch kits have worked well for me. Good color match without having to mess with pigments.

Dan (drb)

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm

Gel Coat repair

Ditto Spectrum

use MIGHTY PUTTY

Spectrum looks like a good product, one question though, on the website for seadoo they have viper red 1998-2001 which my ski is a 2003 or they have sport boat viper red 2001-2007 would the sport boat be the color to get? thanks for the info!

Stop Obama Express
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilnEdee View Post
    use MIGHTY PUTTY

ORDER NOW AND WE WILL TRIPLE YOUR ORDER FOR NO EXTRA CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How does the mighty putty look? Is it matched to factory colors? Where would I go to order it? Does anyone have pictures of a repair that they used mighty putty for?

Quote Originally Posted by explude View Post
    How does the mighty putty look? Is it matched to factory colors? Where would I go to order it? Does anyone have pictures of a repair that they used mighty putty for?

Dude....that was a huge joke. Go to your local home improvement store and get the fiberglass tub repair kit.

I will zip you through the process real quick.Take a die grinder with a carbide bit,a dremel will work fine also and smooth the edges of the chip,you want it to be smooth with no jagged edges,I usually go into the fiberglass slightly.Clean the area with acetone,then take masking tape and go around the edges of the chip,I usually do about three layers of tape.Then mix up your gelcoat paste with the MEK hardener and spread it out on a piece of cardboard,this gives you a little more working time before it hardens up.I use a business card to pull the gel into the chip,try to pull it in cleanly as you do not want air bubbles in it,leave the finished pull slightly higher that the tape,give it a minute,then pull the tape before it drys.Wetsand with a sanding block and 400 grit wet-dry sandpaper to get close to the level of the original surface,switch to 600 grit ,then to 1000 grit and buff the area.I highly recommend the Spectrum gelcoat repair kits their color matches are excellent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information