Carbon seal failure, Possible motor damage.

So I decided to take a ride yesterday and ran into a bit of a problem. Now I'm cruising along at a good clip in flat water and the motor dies. Before the ski even came to a stop I had the seat off and I saw water in the hull about half way up.

I quickly got the ski to land and called for a tow. I was lucky to be in shallow water and able to get to shore.

Now questions are is the carbon seal covered under warranty?

Did I screw the motor by taking in water at a high RPM. Now mind you I did not touch the starter after taking in water. I know what kind of damage comes from trying to compress water. But is it too late anyway?? I was at full throttle when the motor took on water and probably around 7800 RPM.

I know All the procedures for getting water out of the moter hell thanks to that POS RIVA intercooler that I used to run I've had to flush the oil out of the motor many times.

I attempted to get the oil out this time and there isn't much coming out. I checked the hull to make sure it didn't come out of oh say the side of the engine or anything.... Nothing. The best way for me to get some out seemed to be the filter area. I would have to crank the motor the keep the reservoir full and pump some out of there.

What kind of checks can I do to see if there is damage before I start the motor and cause more??

The motor turns over with the starter. I didn't get much oil out yet and Have not tried to replace the oil and start the motor.

So Far all I've done is remove the oil that I can. Drain the water from the intake, supercharger, and intake manifold. Spray Down the SC, Throttle Body and cylinders with WD-40. And for now she sits....

What kind of checks can I do to see if there is damage before I start the motor and cause more??

+1
    When you get water in the motor you need to get it all out and run it for a while and get it hot to burn any remaining moisture out, that is if it still runs. If you dont your going to have to replace the motor anyway because of rust on the bearing surfaces.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gforce View Post
    So I decided to take a ride yesterday and ran into a bit of a problem. Now I'm cruising along at a good clip in flat water and the motor dies. Before the ski even came to a stop I had the seat off and I saw water in the hull about half way up.

I quickly got the ski to land and called for a tow. I was lucky to be in shallow water and able to get to shore.

Now questions are is the carbon seal covered under warranty?

Did I screw the motor by taking in water at a high RPM. Now mind you I did not touch the starter after taking in water. I know what kind of damage comes from trying to compress water. But is it too late anyway?? I was at full throttle when the motor took on water and probably around 7800 RPM.

I know All the procedures for getting water out of the moter hell thanks to that POS RIVA intercooler that I used to run I've had to flush the oil out of the motor many times.

I attempted to get the oil out this time and there isn't much coming out. I checked the hull to make sure it didn't come out of oh say the side of the engine or anything.... Nothing. The best way for me to get some out seemed to be the filter area. I would have to crank the motor the keep the reservoir full and pump some out of there.

The motor turns over with the starter. I didn't get much oil out yet and Have not tried to replace the oil and start the motor.

So Far all I've done is remove the oil that I can. Drain the water from the intake, supercharger, and intake manifold. Spray Down the SC, Throttle Body and cylinders with WD-40. And for now she sits....

Pull the spark plugs and turn it over WOT. If water is spraying out of the cylinders keep turning it over until the bulk of the water is gone. Now you should do a compression check. If it is above 125 and all the cylinders are within 10% of each other you should be fine. If the engine actually did hydrolock at those rpms its a gonner. Hopfully it stalled without hydrolocking. Make sure you have oil in the engine before testing. If all checks out ok then put new plugs in and fire it up and let it run on the hose for a few minutes to dry out the water. Good luck!!

Do this now. Do not let it sit.

Just to reiterate I did drain all the water out of the cylinders, supercharger, and intake manifold. I drained all the oil I could and Sprayed everything I could get a hold of with WD-40, SC, TB, Cylinders etc.......

I Have no way of checking the compression so I'm stuck for now. I will be bringing it in to the shop on Monday.

I too hope it stalled out before the water got there. I can turn it over with the plugs out but haven't tried starting it with fresh oil and plugs yet....

Thread Information