Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

About to repitch my own impeller, how much do you think?

I am tired of running so low rpms and I am about to repitch my impeller on my own. I just don't know how many mm to pitch it forward, I was thinking 2 but I am not really positive. I read the whole thing here on repitching impellers and it just does'nt help me with an excact amount that I should do. My ski is totally stock and has a 12/20 solas and I am running 6750 rpms at 55. Or should I just use the measurements on the stock impeller and make it excactly like my stock was?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by super_gtx View Post
    I am tired of running so low rpms and I am about to repitch my impeller on my own. I just don't know how many mm to pitch it forward, I was thinking 2 but I am not really positive. I read the whole thing here on repitching impellers and it just does'nt help me with an excact amount that I should do. My ski is totally stock and has a 12/20 solas and I am running 6750 rpms at 55. Or should I just use the measurements on the stock impeller and make it excactly like my stock was?
    These are CRUDE, and I mean CRUDE pitcures I just took...I don't have everything set up, so they are not to be done exactly...

Start by placing the prop on a flat surface (hub down), and using a micro meter, measure the blade tips to the bottom of the flat surface...Measure each blade atleast 4 times to get an average...Determine how much you want to put into it, and shoot for that number on all the blades...

- measure the blades on flat surface...
    - place prop on a SECURE item, like the prop tool in a vice...
    - place wrench at a 45 degree angle to the tip, and bend in the direction needed....Towards the back of the prop, increases pitch, drops rpms...front of prop, decreases pitch, raises RPM......Just a SLIGHT bend, don't kink the blade....The bigger the wrench, the more it will move with slight pressure....

******TECHNICALLY all you are doing is changing the tip angle, you are NOT changing the ROOT angle of the prop...So if its a 12/20, it will ALWAYS be a 12/20...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0784.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	87978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0785.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	87979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0786.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	87980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0789.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	87981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0791.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	87982  

+1
    Take your time. Read the directions a couple times to make sure you know what you are doing, and have a plan. The first time will always take a bit longer. You will get better/quicker with experience.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2614

Ok I pretty much got all of that now I am just wondering how many mm's to bend it to give me the right amount of rpms. I already have my impeller in the vise waiting to see what you guys think. I am positive I can do it no prob. Or like I said should I just bend it to the excact mm as my stock prop and make it just like the stock one?

+1
    First find out were your reve-limiter is...Me personaly i would go about 1000 to 1500 less than the limiter..Thats just me though..Everybody has there own preferance on were they like there RPMs...

+1
    55 MPH??? Ouch! Try the 2 mm. That would be a good starting point. Always, always remember what you add/remove so you know in the future. At 7650, you are on the hard limiter. It does not sound right to me that you are way down to 55 MPH. LEt us know what you find out.

I am down 200 RPM myself. Maybe I need to get off my butt. --jeremy
    Last edited by jpeconsult; 08-10-2008 at 12:37 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    First find out were your reve-limiter is...Me personaly i would go about 1000 to 1500 less than the limiter..Thats just me though..Everybody has there own preferance on were they like there RPMs...
    1000-1500 less than the limiter? Did you mean 100-150? I would hate to see the 185's run 6200 - 6700 RPMs

Thanks man I will try the 2mm and see what happens, you can look back on my 353426546 posts about my low rpms and low speed. I have tried everything except this, and if this does'nt work I am going to just leave the ski in the water with a note saying I left the trailer at the parking lot, load it up and take it home.

+1
    My thoughts...Being on the limiter at 55 MPH...You would have to do some serious bending. I had this problem. I was at 7600 RPM, 63 MPH and bent 1.75 (I think) to get 67.4 MPH at 7550. If you are at 55 MPH, I could only imagin how much you would have to bend. I could be completely wrong, but 2 mm should be a good start. --jeremy

Keep us updated.

+1
    If I remember corretly, and I may be wrong...I remember 1mm = 100 RPM = 1 MPH

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information