Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Ever hear of this issue???

Well guys I am new to this forum. So far alot of articles have helped me out alot. I usually post on Sea-doo.net and PWCtoday. But you guys seem to be the most helpful, so I am posting this problem here.

My Seadoo 96 GTX with 110 hours on it seemed to figure out a way to suck in a rave valve. It broke at the post near the top which has the threads on it. But the paddle or actual rave is on top of the pto piston...never head of this problem before but guess it can happen..

I am trying to get the head off, but 3 bolts broke, lots of corrision (salt water use only). My other ski had 200 hours on it and I didn't have this much trouble. I have the head cover off and now trying the head. I am assuming the dome is shot and I will need a new/used head. Any tips on prioring this thing off? I used a long bar over the exhaust and tried to pri it off by the tab on top of the head in the middle, with no luck except bending the bar.. Any tips on getting this off? Also I want this to repair this the cheapest way possible, since I bought this doo to sell as a profit.

As far as parts this is what I figure so far:
    Rave/piston cap
    Rave valve
    New/Used head cover
    New/Used head
    New seals top end
    New head bolts
    Piston
    Rings
    Cylinder

There is some marks on the piston so assuming the cylinder is scored. I am move the motor freely by hand.

Thanks for the help!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Welcome! I have to ask though...why pry on a head with the bolts still in place? Now...if they are broken, and just the shafts exposed, this is good. But...do not pry anymore though! All you are doing is ruining your cylinders, as the gouges you put in between the head and cylinder will prevent it from sealing when you get it back together. So now you might have to buy new cylinders too.

To get the head off, spray PB Blaster all around the bolt hole areas. Scrape all the corrosion between the broken bolts and head with a paper clip or pick tool. Once you get all this corrosion removed, the head will start moving. Tap lightly with a big rubber mallet on the sides of the head to work it loose. Then lift it off by hand.

+1
    The bolts are broken and the shafts are stuck. I didn't bang on the head directly or pry the cylinders, didn't want to damage anything. Used a bar and leverage from the exhaust manifold on the head in the middle where there is a square part sticking out. Will try the pick and PB blaster method. Thank you!

getting waterlogged hotrod_sxty8's Avatar
    yup pb blast FTW!! soak the bolts for a couple of days soaking them every day then give the head a tap from each direction (left and right) the vibration helps the pb blast work in.

+1
    Thanks guys. I used PB blaster, propane torch, vice grips and a file. I filed a flat side on the studs, then heated, and put the vice grips on it. Got the head off. I got very lucky.

The head, piston, and cylinder have no damage at all. Just need to get some metal out of the case, any opinions on doing that?

I'd leave it all together and send it off as a core to an engine builder. Just get a new one.

+1
    Don,

Screw that dude..there is like a little bit of metal no way I am going to rip the whole thing out and send it out...waste of time and money.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    What metal got in the case...from the RAVE? Man...if you had no piston damage...you are one lucky dude...

Tip on reassembly- Grease the smooth part of the bolt shafts to prevent oxidation and easy removal next time.

Good job on the bolts!
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 08-12-2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: typo

Master of the Dooniverse
    gott alove that salt.....add some pepper in there Drew!

+1
    Thanks guys, yeah it could of been alot worse, I did get lucky. The metal is from the raves. There isn't much. The piston just had some light metal on the surface which came right off, now its nice and smooth. Good call on greasing the bolts, I def will. This motor by far wins the award for most corrosion that I had to deal with...but again thats only 4 motors

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information