Angry Professional experience advice!!!!

i purchased a 02 gpr 1200 a few weeks ago the previous owner sold me on the bike was extremely fast. i tell you its been a while since i had owned a ski.i took it out on the lake with the kids and the boat would do ok but not the way it was sold to me.bare with me as i'm not very technical on what this bike has...triple pipes, carbs i think 48mm ,riva heads,riva nozzle,riva prop,riva side skegs or stabalizers,quick trim,riva plate,i was told the bike was a 80+ boat...I was only getting 73-74 and i'm 217.After calling around a few local ski shop.I dropped it of for some tunning as i thought it would need.It had a compression checked on the pipes thinking one was bad,but turned out ok.Compression check to the pistions and found 130-130-25.They took everything apart and found a broken pistion and a badly scratch sleeve..They recommended new pistions on three cylinders and rings,but had to first confirm the scratch on the bad head was fixable..If you professional experience guys would do me the favor to guide me in the right direction i would apprieciate it greatly.They are suppose to work out a price quote for the repair and i'm affraid of how much this mite set me back.
    Last edited by strictlymarine; 08-10-2008 at 02:04 PM.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Get the bike back. Post pics on here, I would say you only need 1 cyl and piston... The fastest ski's in the world are on here... You need to figure out what caused it to detonate...

Quote Originally Posted by strictlymarine View Post
    i purchased a 02 gpr 1200 a few weeks ago the previous owner sold me on the bike was extremely fast. i tell you its been a while since i had owned a ski.i took it out on the lake with the kids and the boat would do ok but not the way it was sold to me.bare with me as i'm not very technical on what this bike has...triple pipes, carbs i think 48mm ,riva heads,riva nozzle,riva prop,riva side skegs or stabalizers,quick trim,riva plate,i was told the bike was a 80+ boat...I was only getting 73-74 and i'm 217.After calling around a few local ski shop.I dropped it of for some tunning as i thought it would need.It had a compression checked on the pipes thinking one was bad,but turned out ok.Compression check to the pistions and found 130-130-25.They took everything apart and found a broken pistion and a badly scratch sleeve..They recommended new pistions on three cylinders and rings,but had to first confirm the scratch on the bad head was fixable..If you professional experience guys would do me the favor to guide me in the right direction i would apprieciate it greatly.They are suppose to work out a price quote for the repair and i'm affraid of how much this mite set me back.

Please do not send it in to a dealer. You will be paying and arm and a leg and might not be done right. They are not mechanics, they are direction readers. (not all, i know a handful that are good) They put new parts on til the problem is fixed, then send you the bill. Please like said above take some pics and we would be more than happy to walk you through the fix. Like said, we have the worlds fastest skis on here and the guys who built them.

+1
    Could have dropped a PV or something.As advised above,take pics of the busted parts and take it from there.GH.net will have you back up.Welcome to the forum.

+1
    welcome to the forum . I would advise you not let them fix your motor. there are many members here that can help you assemble/fix it

Thank you all for your quick reply.Yea first thing tomarrow i plan on showing up and hitching the bike home.I did not take to a dealer.I was told compression should be 150 to 180 is this true.The mech told me the pistions where stock pistions.I was thinking upgrading all to a size or two bigger...either way i will post pictuers of parts...^Thanks again!

+1
    And unfortunately a triple piped boat is not a "beginner's" ski either... You really need to know what's going on under the seat to have a fast/reliable triple...
    Triples can be a VERY expensive learning experience.

+1
    On a 1200r I was thinking 150psi.

Stock pistons are fine for the application.

Upgrading them to a bigger size or two would mean another story.

Quick question though,
    What fuel are you currently using in it ?

Thread Information