Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink 1200XLL -Need advice & support

Out of necessity (determination that my husband was NOT going to blow up my new motor in MY ski) I have spent hours and hours scouring the forums trying to find out how to get this ski up and running. I now know more about motors and carbs than I ever wanted to know, but realize that I still don't know near enough to keep my husband from blowing this motor

We recently bought a 2nd 99 1200xl limited - we bought both ski's from a friend (1 1/2 years apart) - after he had blown them up. This 2nd ski is MY ski. We put in a new SBT motor and quickly realized that we needed to rebuild the carbs. Right after buying this ski my husband sunk his ski and blew the motor (still under warranty) so we decided to go ahead and put his Riva FA's on mine since they are so much easier to install. We then go round and round trying to figure out why it won't run. Finally found cat was stuck in the stinger and blocking exhaust. Thinking that all was great we put it in the water yesterday and kept getting lots of bogging - it ran great when it would run.

So, knowing there was still a problem, I started reading again. The more I read, the more I began to understand. So, now I THINK I have an understanding of the problem and what we need to do. I am printing out cajun's article on rejetting, tech page about rebuilding carbs from mukini, how to build pop off tester, how to do pop off test, etc. Trying to get all of my info together.

Husband has removed the carbs AGAIN (poor guy). I am getting ready to order parts we need, and I want to make sure that we order the right things.

So, here is what I learned - please tell me if what I THINK that I know is what I should know:

1. can't modify your ski and put stock carbs back on - it messes things up and your ski won't run right and you will blow it up.

2. we need to disable accelerator pump - we've already removed choke plate and installed primer kit

3. we had carbs rebuilt to stock, so now we need to go back into them and rejet them, put in new springs and jets, add t-handles, and pressure test

Ski already has D-plate installed and we are running premix. So, here is where I have questions:

1. Since we just had carbs rebuilt and cleaned - we purchased a complete rebuild kit from yamaha dealer (I know, I know stealer) for $300 - it is killing me - I am assuming that all we need to do to the carbs now is to do the rejetting - I can reuse the gaskets and all that other stuff, right?

2. Looking at forum info it seems that we need to rejet to these specs:
    110 pilots
    1.5 needles and seats with a non shiny gray spring (95 gram)
    125 mains

Is this right?

I just want my ski running and reliable. I will rarely be without a child on the back, will be pulling floats & wakeboards. I will not be going balls to the wall very often - we are riding in the bay and gulf so there is rarely a chance for smooth riding, but I also don't want my husband beating me either

Am I on the right track? Is there anything I have missed?

+1
    Gaskets can be reused since they are new.

The list of parts is fine except I do not see any mention of removing the tamper evident caps on the high and low speed adjusters. We usually put T-handles on, but it can be done without. The low speed screw should be set at 1 turn out and the high speed at 1-1/2 turns out. It is important that you put grease around and covering the screws after adjusting this keeps water from sitting in there and causing major issues.

Yep, we are putting on t-handles, saw in a post where you can buy the whole kit. The tamper plugs have already been removed - lucky us - by the guy who rebuilt them back to stock.

Everything else seems like we are on track? Anything stick out that we are missing?

Thanks!!!

+1
    There are a couple ways to disable the accelerator pump. I like to just remove it and replace it with standard cover like the others have. there is a little fitting that needs to plugged when you do it this way. The other method is to just take the cam piece off the shaft.
    I have pictured a Kit I bought from Carl at Island to do this. I have the pieces if you are interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carb 008.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	88056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carb 009.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1,001.7 KB 
ID:	88057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carb 011.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	88058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carb 056.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	88059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carb 014.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	88061  

Taking it totally off like that is nice - I'd like to do it like that if I can squeeze it in the budget - still got to replace the husbands FA's What would be the cost?

Where should I buy the jets, springs and needles & seats? I didn't see them at the GreenHulk online store - maybe I wasn't looking in the right spot?

We've bought other parts from RivaYamaha but have had difficulty getting parts in a reasonable amount of time - Would like to order from somewhere that we can get parts quickly.

Thanks
    CeCe

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine_n_pc View Post
    Taking it totally off like that is nice - I'd like to do it like that if I can squeeze it in the budget - still got to replace the husbands FA's What would be the cost?

Where should I buy the jets, springs and needles & seats? I didn't see them at the GreenHulk online store - maybe I wasn't looking in the right spot?

We've bought other parts from RivaYamaha but have had difficulty getting parts in a reasonable amount of time - Would like to order from somewhere that we can get parts quickly.

Thanks
    CeCe

Go through Bill (osidebill) he has everything mikuni has. He is mikuni. If he doesnt have it, he knows where to get it. 99.9% of the time he has the pieces. Very very good on price and very easy to talk to. Beware he loves to talk and is usually working on two skis and talking to you all at once. lol.

I can order all that stuff for you if you need it, just let me know.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine_n_pc View Post

Thanks
    CeCe
    CeCe figure $10+ shipping so no more than $15 total. for the accel block off stuff. jets and such you can find at several sources. usually I have all that stuff but I am waiting on my order to come in been a busy year.
    Bill
    Last edited by OsideBill; 08-10-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Since Bill doesn't have it get with Carl at Island Racing. I just installed my kit Friday. It consisted of: 125 mains, 110 pilots, acc pump block-off, 1.5 NS, and 95 springs. Ran it Saturday and it runs perfectly.

just browsing the forums and I have some questions -

what's an FA?

why would you remove the accelerator pump? All the pump should do is squirt a little extra fuel in when you goose it... wouldn't the ski bog on accel without an accelerator pump?

where are the tamper caps and how do I take them off? what do the high and low speed screws adjust? mixture? do they restrict air or fuel?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information