Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lets discuss ride plate extensions..........

I was just lying under the back of my boats,looking and thinking........
    We have already discussed trueing the grate to the plate,and filling the ride plate bolt holes.........but,
    Anyone got any thoughts or ideas about extending the ride plate back to the end of the hull,and also "sharpening" or "squaring" the very end of it and the hull? It won't be a real easy mod,but it isn't impossible either.
    Think it could gain any performance?
    Think it could HURT cooling or handling?
    Any thoughts?????????

+1
    By how much would that lengthen the underside? Perhaps the equivalent to the GTX neighborhood? Could it be possible to get the length of a GTX handling with the weight of the RXP (not like she's a feather, but it would be something to shoot for)?

+1
    To get the RXP to equal the length of a GTX hull, you would have to add 10 inches to the ride plate length. That is a LOT ! I don't think you could maintain structural strength with this long an add on. The rear of the ride plate takes a lot of abuse. If you jump waves, that is where you land. Designing an aluminum trim tab with a SS hinge where the plate meets the hull and adjustable turn buckles might be an option. So might something similiar to the extended tabs made for the GPRs (would have to route out the hull bottom and probably weaken it to install) or the pump mounted plate extensions like those made by Inland Jet for XPL and RXX skis. There are a lot of options and one of them is sure to help prevent the high speed porpoising these skis are experiencing.

Richard

+1
    I'll just wait to try those Riva OPAS fins.

+1
    I think any type of extension would create more drag and scrub speed.

Guess I should have mentioned I am looking at RXT's.........
    The RXT is already about 10 inches longer than the GTX.
    As far as extending the plate,I was thinking more along the lines of adding about two inches to it. That would bring it even to the stern. Doesn't look like it would be to difficult to add that much and still maintain structural integrity.

The RXT is exactly the same size as the GTX, it uses the same hull as the GTX.

IMO, the most bang for the buck will be in the trailing edge shape of the rideplate.

+1
    As far as stopping porpoising, by far the best results we had with GPRs was not with the rideplate, but with stepping the sponsons. Many of us even added more angle to our rideplates, gained speed, then stepped the sponsons to stop the porpoising. Extending the rideplate might help, but I would first try to step the sponsons. It is more difficult on our RXPs due to the five bolts in the sponsons vs three, but that was the one thing that virtually all of us did to stop porpoising on our GPRs. After stepping, the sponsons were higher in front, lower in rear. The front of the sponson (inside, flat part that is flush to hull) on my GPR is 1 inch above the bottom of the hull and in the rear it is closer to only 1/4 inch above the bottom of the hull, so the drop is roughly 3/4 to 1 inch, front to rear. By bottom of the hull, I mean where the flat side of the hull ends, directly beneath the sponson.

+1
    Very interesting that you bring up this topic. I am currently in the process of extending my ride plate by 2". I'm using 3/16th thick aluminum and it will be welded to the back edge of the rideplate and trued on the bottom edge with some marine epoxy.

The only reason i'm extending the plate is to try to reduce the porpoising. At 77 mph im bouncing badly. With this bouncing comes loss of speed. Pics to come later!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information