carbon seal failure?

I have a 2004 RXP and I think my carbon seal failed also today like the guy in the other thread that was posted earlier. My water never got up over the lower supercharger hose but some got in the engine. Changed the oil and ran it like everyone says oil looks good now instead of milk like before. Also my drive shaft has slipped back because I had plenty of engine revs on the water but no go. My question is what is involved in fixing this and what all parts should be needed? I do most of the work on my ski myself so I can get my way around it pretty decent. Plus when I took the oil filter out it had some light metal shavings in it. Is this normal or a sign of a problem? Thanks for everyone's help in advance!!

Don, where were running - Alum Creek? It sounds like the c-clip on the drive shaft popped off. As long as you got the waqter out of the oil, the engine should be fine. Do a search on carbon seal and see if there's enough information for you to check to see of the c-clip has popped off... Ron

Ron I was up at Alum Creek. I was just reading some other threads on that boot. When I was changing my oil I looked at the shaft from the inside of the hull and the boot did slip of. I was trying to figure out how to get it back on there from the other threads but still not totally sure on how to do it. Plus I need to know how to get the drive shaft back in place and why it has came out.

Don, you might pull the pump and see if the shaft turns in the engine. There shouldn't be too much end-to-end play with the pump in place. Check under the ski, look through the grate and see if the pump cone has come loose from the impeller. If it has, it could have slid foreward and pressed against the carbon ring, causing the leak... Ron

Thanks Ron I will have to get my manual out and see how to get that boot on and where that clip is. The water never got above the supersharger hose so hopefully everything is ok. Plus after changing the oil and running it on the hose for a little bit the oil still looks good. Also when I pulled the plugs and cranked it no water shot up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Don RXP View Post
    I have a 2004 RXP and I think my carbon seal failed also today like the guy in the other thread that was posted earlier. My water never got up over the lower supercharger hose but some got in the engine. Changed the oil and ran it like everyone says oil looks good now instead of milk like before. Also my drive shaft has slipped back because I had plenty of engine revs on the water but no go. My question is what is involved in fixing this and what all parts should be needed? I do most of the work on my ski myself so I can get my way around it pretty decent. Plus when I took the oil filter out it had some light metal shavings in it. Is this normal or a sign of a problem? Thanks for everyone's help in advance!!
    Don is just making excuses, because he got beat by the lady today on the gtx. Seriously, it was a pretty scary scene with the hull filling up so fast. So what is all involved on getting the boot back on and what all else needs to be checked on the ski so we can make sure no other damage has been done and how do we prevent this from happening again?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030293 (2).JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	88160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030304 (2).JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	88161  

That's a good reason to have a bilge pump. The tiny little bailer tubes won't pump out hull if you're sinking.

If you need a service manual, check this link:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63168

... Ron

+1
    Hey Ron, where did you get that mint Yamaha MX 400 ? 1976 model right?

It's a '76 Yamaha TT500 - I bought it new in '76 from Pete's Cycle in Severna Park Maryland. It's all original except the rubber - grips, cable seals - that kind of stuff. I have another tank for it that I bought on eBay a few years ago. It still starts on one kick... Ron

This same exact thing just happend to a customers ski Im working on,nose cone and impeller came loose and the cone traveled up the driveshaft and somehow pushed the driveshaft forward and got stuck that way and filling the hull with the water half way up..I reccomend putting a little BLUE loctite on the nose cone and tighten it good, assuming the threads are still good on it.

Thread Information