Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Drilling and Tapping Info For Newbies

I am finishing up the Frecho Water Bypass Mod and have no experiance drilling or tapping metal. So... I researched it. If anyone else is confused on how to drill or tap metal so they can complete Frecho's Water Bypass Mod try reading the info below. Hopefully it will help you as much as it did for me.

http://raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc9.html

http://www.korit.com/tapndrill.htm

Pat
    [/url]

Number one, most important item is a SHARP drill bit. It is unbelievable the difference that a sharp bit will make. Drill bits are fairly cheap, especially the smaller sizes that are need for motorcycle repair. so if you are having trouble drilling a hole in something, the first thing you want to do is, make sure that you are using a bit with a good cutting edge. If you are not sure, go buy a new one.

Second thing, is to use some type of cutting fluid. There are many different brands on the market, but we usually use tap magic. Some cutting fluids are made specifically for certain metals, so make sure you are using the proper fluid for the type of metal you are drilling. Before you attempt to start drilling a new hole, ALWAYS center punch the material you are drilling to keep the drill bit from walking around all over the place when you are trying to get it started. If you can't get a good indentation in the material with a center punch, then the metal is probably too hard to drill and you will only screw something up if you keep trying. this is especially true when trying to remove broken bolts. It usually cost much less to pay someone with the proper equipment to remove a broken bolt than it does to pay them to remove a broken drill bit or broken tap and repair the extra damage caused by a drill bit walking off center or an unlubricated tap breaking off inside of a hole that has been drilled to the wrong size, then had a drill bit run in beside the tap and broken off in a half-assed attempt to remove it.

Threading holes requires 3 things to do it right.

FIRST The right size drill bit (sharp of course)
    SECOND The right tap set (3-taps), also taps must be sharp. Taps can wear out and get dull edged.
    THIRD Again, proper cutting fluid.

Taps come in sets of 3. the proper way to use them is: 1) Drill the proper size hole. 2) Using the #1 or starting tap (the one with the most taper) Start the threads about a turn and a half, add some cutting fluid, then run the tap in a couple more turns. then you want to back the tap back out about half to a full turn, this breaks the chip. run the tap in a couple of turns then back it off again. do this until you have reached bottom or have gotten the desired length of thread. don't forget to add fluid as you go. Repeat this operation with the second (#2) tap, (the one with the medium amount of taper), then finish with the bottoming tap (#3), the one with almost no taper.

One other thing: Its is a lot easier to run a tap straight with a tap wrench than a adjustable wrench.

+1
    Great article. If I may add to it...

Another very, very helpful trick I've learned is to use my table drill press to mount the tap. Unplug the drill, or LOTO it, so that you don't accidentally bump the button and send your work into a hurricane.

Drill your part....straight using the above instructions.
    Mount the tap in the drill press.
    Place the object on the stage.
    Run the stage up to the bit.
    By hand, turn the chuck, as you manually run the stage up.
    After a few tries, you will never mis-align a tap again.

+1
    Unplug the drill, or LOTO it, so that you don't accidentally bump the button and send your work into a hurricane.
    Funny you mention LOTO.....I agree. We LOTO (Lock-Out-Tag-Out) peices of equipment at the refinery I work at to prevent such accidents.
    You don't want to get complacent at home because you are anxious to finish a project. Take your time and be SAFE....Work Smart

+1
    I wrapped my left arm around the drill press about 1.25 times before I could hit the button.

Lesson learned.... it's safer to throw metal shavings in your eye, than it is to not practice loto while dealing with power tools.

+1
    and remember ,when tapping aluminum , if you use a hand drill always use the next size drill bit smaller,your hand wiggles around as you drill and the results are a larger hole than you need.......this is my experience from many years at the hotrod shop

+1
    We LOTO (Lock-Out-Tag-Out) peices of equipment at the refinery I work at to prevent such accidents.

They make you watch the "Charlie Video" too?

+1
    Center drill,or punch.
    The right size drill.(sharp).
    Tap.
    Done.

Only use a hand drill as a last resort.
    Do it in a Bridgeport and use sharp drill and tap.(properly lubed)

If by hand make a drill jig and secure it to what you want to drill.
    Jig should be a few thousand bigger than your drill.

Steel you can use any lube that keeps work cool Aluminum needs something like Tap magic for Aluminum.

I have machine taped thousands of holes and hand tapped hundreds.
    Get a drill and tap chart.
    SCOTT.........

+1
    to the top.....

What happends if no fluid is used when tapping? Is it also needed when drilling?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information