Thread: Flooding

Question Flooding

Hi i need a problem answered,my mate put my polaris slt750 in the water and forgot to put the drain plug in hence the whole lot filled up with water ,we got the ski out immediately and drained it but then it wouldnt start,i have been told it will start once it has dried out is this correct or has he damaged the ski,i have just spent a lot of money on it getting it in shape so i hope its not a big issue.

Jared of Oklahoma
    check and see if the button on top of the electrical box is popped. If it is just push it back in to reset it. If that did not make it work open your electrical box and check fuses and for moisture. Make sure when you put it back together that the Oring seals it up. Im not an expert on these by any means but these are things I have been told to check in the past. How far up did the water get?? Did the ski injest any water?? Good luck man. I know the experts on here like Xlint and Kedanno will probably have much better advice for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jarcynvicnchris93 View Post
    check and see if the button on top of the electrical box is popped. If it is just push it back in to reset it. If that did not make it work open your electrical box and check fuses and for moisture. Make sure when you put it back together that the Oring seals it up. Im not an expert on these by any means but these are things I have been told to check in the past. How far up did the water get?? Did the ski injest any water?? Good luck man. I know the experts on here like Xlint and Kedanno will probably have much better advice for you.
    Thanks for your advice i will do what you say and see what happens.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the engine ingested water, you need to dry out the motor ASAP. Even 24 hours with water inside the crankcase is too long.

There are a number of threads on here discussing how to get the water out. Do a search.

If you cannot get it started after you get most of the water out, then thoroughly coat the engine insides with fogging oil, especially the crank case, but also the piston tops via the spark plug holes.

If you can get it started, run it for a few seconds at a time without cooling water. Then hook up a garden hose to the, and you can run the engine for up to 2 minutes.

Best method of drying the engine out is to get it running, then take it for a good ride at speed, so engine heat can evaporate the remaining moisture. Be sure you have good compression, and no mechanical damage inside the engine, before you go riding. Then apply fogging oil again, as added protection.

Good luck.

Thread Information