Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

R&D Anti-Cav Pump Cone & Spacers

Getting ready to replace my prop and install the Riva wedge and vts arm.

While I have the nozzle assembly off, anybody have any comments for installing the R&D anti-cavitation cone and spacer(s)? Looks like there are two spacer sizes??? Which one is better? .200 or .350 thickness?

Ive wondered about these 2 items also. The pump cone in particular, makes sense that it should be tilted upwards few degrees with a wedge. The spacers are most likely best used to dial in RPM's, making the exit nozzle area a smaller volume/higher pressure.

Banned User
    +1
    Its can be used as a poor-man's venturi ring setup, requires more playing with the prop compared to different sized rings...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Its can be used as a poor-man's venturi ring setup, requires more playing with the prop compared to different sized rings...
    So basically not that great for the money?

+1
    IMO the spacers are a pain in the ass..You have to pull the nozzle and cone off everytime you want to change the spacer,Where as with the adjustable nozzle you can leave the pump assembly together and do the same thing basicaly...Also how well will they seal??I have heard you have to use silicone to seal them.That could be a pain in the ass when trying to adjust for differant conditions...JMO though

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jwade View Post
    So basically not that great for the money?
    Its all in perspective....I personally would tailor my setup to use something like that instead of having to pull the pump and repeatedly bend the prop...Beginning of season, have a ring in, as season gets warmer remove the ring...then toss it in when its get cold....

But if I would be bending the prop 8-10x's a season, I would get the ring setup instead...

Sounds like it's not worth it. And yes, you would most likely have to silicone these spacers / cone just like you do with a wedge for a good fit.

Pulling the pump is a pain. Think I'll eventually go with the adjustable nozzle instead. Now it's just a matter of whether to choose between the Riva or R&D.

I do not like the fact that these spacers prevent the cone base from touching both o-rings. I mean, sometimes water can get past the two o-rings (especially as the rings age); with only one ring sealing, it just seems to be asking for pump bearing issues by not keeping that sealed right.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    I do not like the fact that these spacers prevent the cone base from touching both o-rings. I mean, sometimes water can get past the two o-rings (especially as the rings age); with only one ring sealing, it just seems to be asking for pump bearing issues by not keeping that sealed right.

+1
    Ive got the R and D metal pump cone and the R and D blue nose cone on my RXP. I chose to replace the entire cone instead of using spacers. One think i like about the metal cone, is you dont have to worry about overtightening like the green plastic stocker.
    All i can say is that the pump cone is shaped different then our green stock cone. It has a direction arrow that points up so that the cone is installed correctly. With that being said the point of the R and D nose cone ends or is shaped diferently then stock. on a stock cone it does not matter which way is installed as the cone is the same measurements all the way arround.

I can not say what or if any gains as I have a worn carbon ring so impossilble to tell.
    Last edited by skoepp; 08-11-2008 at 08:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information