cut out then cut off

Hey guys my 2003 xpdi acted quite strange this weekend and I need some help. First it was acting weird it kept cutting out and wouldnt go faster then 10-15MPH and then out of no where it would start running great again. then it just died. i looked into it and found that under one of the spark plug boots there was some water! Dried out best I could but it still wouldnt start. it would give a little burst then die. I then pushed on the plug cap and held it and it would start run a little rough then die couldn't always get it to start though any thoughts or suggestions? thanks

Does it limit rpms around 3400 with a few high burst come back down around idle and then die? My 03 xpdi did this about a month ago and I replace the fuel pump and filter and this fix my problem

Try pulling the high tension leads out of the plug caps and snip off a 1/4 inch. Re-screw the caps on the leads and see how that goes. It sounds like the internal wires of the leads are breaking down. Usually what happens is the internal copper wires will break off with the vibration of the engine. All you have left making contact to the plug caps are 5 or 6 strands. Or sometimes the leads will just back out of the caps enough to barely if at all make contact. They need some really good zip-ties to secure them from backing out.

Oh yeah...one more thing...if your ski has the hard plastic plug caps...get rid of them. They have built in resistors and they always fail. Just pick up a set of the decent resistor free caps from NGK and that part won't be an issue anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    Oh yeah...one more thing...if your ski has the hard plastic plug caps...get rid of them. They have built in resistors and they always fail. Just pick up a set of the decent resistor free caps from NGK and that part won't be an issue anymore.
    Do that and you can have real problems. The DI has to have resistor caps and no leaks to ground and good plugs. Try new caps , Plugs and dielctric grease. If that doesnt fix it get the fuel pressure checked and and also air pressure. You may have a broken air hose. There are lots of possible problems but these are the easyones

I'm surprised that the service manual doesn't speak of the resistor caps on the DI model. It does for the 787 RFI engines but not the XPDI. They offer coil testing procedures with the cap installed but otherwise no. Here is the testing procedure if it helps...it is possible the coil could be breaking down when it heats up a little. This is for both the primary winding and secondary...I just couldn't fit the whole thing in one shot. It just says for the primary winding to discconect the connector from the ignition coil and check the resistance of the primary circuit then heads into where this page starts. Sorry for the bad suggestion if your ski doesn't use resistor caps dude...I assumed they may have been an aftermarket added item (should they be there) as the manual doesn't speak of them for your engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03 XPDI Coil.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	971.2 KB 
ID:	88359  

the cap should screw off then. They are made of a rubbery material and only one got water into it, it seems that maybe I should trim a little that would be a good start let you know what happens!

Ok checked the spark with an inline tester and both were good. Took plugs out both looked dry. Sparked great! I'm thinking that maybe the injectors or one injector is clogged/bad. I can hear the fuel pump when I put the key on. i can hear it spin then shut off once pressure has built any ideas? thanks

Thread Information