Thread: OCMS question

+1

OCMS question

Hey all,

It seems we still have a GIO problem on our ski, even after installing a loop of hose between the catch can and the oil pan as per Jwilson and Kmans suggestions (Prior to release of OCMS).
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58776
    We do get a couple of ounces of fluid out of the hose after very tank full, but still oil level rising.

I don't see how the catch can mod of the OCMS will make any difference to what we already have (although it will make draining that fluid a lot easier).

So my question is will the crankcase fitting portion of this mod make a difference to the amount of Gas we are finding in the oil?

One problem is the breather on the side of the block. Fuel vapor is condensing in it and returning to crankcase as liquid. You will need to remove it and install ocms fitting (it is about 30 percent larger than factory, more flow). That's one differance in the 08 to 07. Deleting the breather box.

David

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by halfassjack View Post
    One problem is the breather on the side of the block. Fuel vapor is condensing in it and returning to crankcase as liquid. You will need to remove it and install ocms fitting (it is about 30 percent larger than factory, more flow). That's one differance in the 08 to 07. Deleting the breather box.

David

The OCMS on a 07 system will still give you slightly more flow from the crankcase then a 08
    style,

+1 to sirbreaksalot
    The 07 OCMS crankcase fitting is larger than the 07 & 08 factory fitting. I found in developing the OCMS that the crankcase breather box on the 07 can cause condensed fuel to return to the crankcase. That is the reason for Kawi to delete the breather box in 08 as well as the OCMS to remove it also. With the 08 style system the vapor moves faster into the valve cover and then into the oil seperator (not allowed to condense in the breather box) and then any that is condensed in oil separator (catch can) to be traped and drained through the OCMS valve instead of being returned to the oil pan. The oil seperator is now a catch can instead of oil seperator. The newest addition to the OCMS is to weld a return fitting 1.5 inches up on the side of the "catch can" to allow the return hose to the oil pan to still be connected to provide peace of mind in knowing that if the motor burps a considerable amount of oil into the catch can it will still return to the oil pan. Best of both worlds as the oil separator was turned into a catch can and now is turned into a catch can/ oil separtator combo. Again if anyone has questions pm me and i will give you my number to discuss the OCMS over the phone. If need be i will call you back on my dime.

David

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    The OCMS on a 07 system will still give you slightly more flow from the crankcase then a 08
    style,

Quote Originally Posted by halfassjack View Post
    The newest addition to the OCMS is to weld a return fitting 1.5 inches up on the side of the "catch can"
    So if you are running the return fitting wouldn't the hose plug be omitted?
    How come it's still included in the kits?
    I guess if you choose not to use the return fitting.
    kinda like " here ya go engine, this gassy/oil junk will save you"
    Just playin...

I do notice, the harder I am on my ski, the less collected fluid I get....I will have to take pics of the saved bottles of oil/gas of the last 3 tanks of fuel iv'e burned.

I have never had pure gas in the tank like I have seen many people collect though.
    Last edited by Gen3Benz; 08-11-2008 at 10:38 PM.

gen3benz

The option to have the return line still connected but elavated is just that, an option. People asked for the option so I included the weld on fitting in the system.

David

Thread Information