Banned User
    +1

50 hour inspection on RXT-X

Well, I was bored this weekend, so I decided to pull my supercharger, and do a few other things to my ski. I have a 2008 RXT-X, and it had 50 hours on it.
    I didn't really think my sc washers were slipping, but I just wanted to check everything out to make sure.

If you decide to pull you supercharger, here's what you'll need; a 1/4" socket, and a ratched wrench of the same size. The superchargers bolts-there are only 3, are all Torx head bolts, designed so that the average guy doesn't attempt what I did.

You'll need to remove some house clamps, the crankcase breather, and move the waterbox as far back as you can get it. When you pull this thing out, it slided to the rear of the ski several inches, so you'll need plenty of room.

It took me about an hour(i'm not the best with tools). Once I had the supercharger in my hands, I took it to a friend, who has the tools to measure slippage. He said my washer were fine, and that I could get another 50 hours out of them. Now keep in mind, I do a fair amount of racing/riding wot. I also do a fair amount of cruising(at 5000rpm). I'd say the mix is about 50-50.

Next thing I did was replace the pump liner. It wasn't in bad shape, but I just wanted to freshen things up. I had the same friend replace the liner as the old one has to be cut out.

I also replaced the oil(3 quarts, Castrol 10W-40), and the spark plugs.

When I went out to ride today, the ski has a new spunk to it. I picked up about 1/2 a mile an hour, and used a bit less gas. The results weren't really remarkable. I just did all this for peace of mind.

There is a how to somewhere on here about how to remove the supercharger. Its not difficult, just time consuming. Don't forget; when you have the supercharger out, take the Torx bolts with you to a hardware store, and replace them with 8mm bolts. This way it will be much easier when you pull it out again.

Note about fuel gauge and mileage: I went out today and just cruised. I held a steady 5000 rpm. The gas tank was full...I mean really full. Practically to the neck full.
    So, as I rode the ski I kept an eye on the fuel gauge. When I dropped one tick mark, and it sayed there, I looked at my distance on the gps. I had rode 15 miles. The second tick dropped 8 miles later, and 3 rd tick, another 8 miles, and so on. So now your asking yourself, why did I ride 15 miles before the first tick dropped??? Look at the gas tank-there's a lot of room in there for filling the tank. To get the tank absolutely full, you have to bump or burp the air out of the tank. Keep filling-bump the ski, more air comes out, and so on. You will have more fuel in the tank to burn before the fuel gauge can register. So in essence, the tank is probably over full.

I was able to ride about 40 miles or so before I was at half a tank. I've only heard the fuel buzzer one time. When I did, I was near the dock, so I went and filled up. The result was the fuel buzzer came on when I still had aproximately 4 gallons left. I know from experience that at 5000rpm I can get at least 4mpg...so that leaves me with 16 miles to ride at that rpm before the ski is totally out of gas. Keep in mind that if your riding wot, you will go through a full tank in less than one hour. Best range rpm on my ski has figured to be right at 5000rpm.

I read this a couple days ago and thought "thanks for the info" but never posted so...

THX for the info! I noticed something similar with my fuel tank as well, although I don't have long enough runs to just "cruise" at 5000RPMs for miles. Wish I did, but alas I do not.

I guess I could go to the bathtub we call Lake St. Clair, but I def. do not enjoy riding in 2-3ft. chop (and bathtub chop at that).

Question for the "pump liner" or wear ring... for removing it, yeah either cut it out or just use a hot soldiering gun and melt a couple of lines in the liner, it'll fall right out then. But for the installation, did your "friend" do anything special or just tap it in with a rubber mallet or something?

I want to do this myself, but it's obvious that the outer diameter of the new wear right is just a little bit larger than the original. Could be that the ring "compresses" when pushed into the pump, but not sure. I don't have access to a press to do this.. hoping there's another way other than beveling the front edge of the new ring and pounding it in.

-=Mike G.
    Last edited by Mikey G.; 08-12-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Thanks. I've been monitoring my fuel usage in cruise for quite some time. I got the 5000rpm best range from boattest.com. The range is something around 4.71mpg...but I always round down to be safe and say 4mpg. I always have the GPS with me, and have all the gas docks for over 40 miles programed into it(there's not that many), that way I'm never too far from fuel.

I usually don't ride down river towards the damn because of the constant south winds we have. It's usually pretty choppy. Also, the water gets warmer(87deg) the further south you go. If I go up river, the water is a nice 73deg.

+1
    iflyems, good write up, thanks for posting...

Thread Information