Thread: 1200DI issues

1200DI issues

I took my newly reuilt TXI out this weekend for the first real test...I have been following the breakin schedule found on the sbt web site. I pre mixed the 1st 10 gallons and took it easy... Ride 30 min cool down, ride 30 min at no more than 30% throttle then filled with stright gas for yesterdays ride. Everything went well, ran great. Was out for more than 3 hours at No more than 1/2 throttle.
    Today went to ride and it was like it was missing a cylinder. Little power and stumled very baddly. Changed plugs same thing. Also it was verry loud at an idle....almost like a pump bearing. If you bring it up just off idle the noise would stop. It wold die every so often. I am going to check compression and see what I get? Possible TPS????
    Last edited by ryand; 08-11-2008 at 02:07 PM.

+1
    Compression check first .

I am going to give you my compression numbers first before I tell you what a idiot i am....

Mag= 139psi
    Center=138psi
    PTO=140psi

I think my gauge reads a few pounds high....but they are uniform so thats good....

I stated in my first post that i changed sparkplugs and tested it again and it seemed pretty loud...My dumb ass never put the plug boot on the mag cylinder!!! Here i am thinking that it was running on two cylinders, well because it was.

With that said, It still does not explain why the ski was running funny in the first place before the plug change.....it has ran a little rough each time i ran it untill it got warm...but monday morning it was very bad, it just would not clear out and run right.

I started it after i relized my error in judgemnet and it ran great on land.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryand View Post
    ...Today went to ride and it was like it was missing a cylinder. Little power and stumbled very baddly. Changed plugs same thing.
    Also it was very loud at an idle....almost like a pump bearing. If you bring it up just off idle the noise would stop. It would die every so often...
    ...I stated in my first post that i changed sparkplugs and tested it again and it seemed pretty loud...
    never put the plug boot on the mag cylinder...running on two cylinders...

With that said, It still does not explain why the ski was running funny in the first place before the plug change....
    .it has ran a little rough each time i ran it untill it got warm...but monday morning it was very bad, it just would not clear out and run right.

I started it after I realized my error ...it ran great on land.
    What spark plugs are you using?

With one cylinder not firing, the engine would have been rotating the drive shaft unevenly. My guess is that the impeller was probably bouncing around on the drive shaft splines, making the noise you heard.

I cant remember what plug number it is....but it is the one reccomended in the service manual.

+1
    Were you running any break in oil? You not supposed to BUT if you did, maybe you took out a plug or an injector.

I did premix the first 10 gallons...50:1. Manual states that it is acceptable to do....Is this incorrect?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I did premix the first 10 gallons...50:1.
    Manual states that it is acceptable to do....
    Is this incorrect?
    Pre-mix during break-in is more for the carbureted engines.

With fuel injected, the pre-mixed oil doesn't go anywhere near the crank case or cylinder walls, since the injectors fire directly into the combustion chamber. There might be a slight lubrication effect, but the injectors are not calibrated for oil in the fuel, so it can throw off the fuel burn. Also watch for possible spark plug contamination.

Going forward, just use premium octane fuel, and perhaps a quart of Sea Foam fuel system cleaner in the gas tank. See if it settles down as the engine wears in, and the pre-mix oil dilutes.

Thread Information