Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mold

Mold

So on thursday my ceiling in the second bedroom of my house im renting collapsed. Revealing mold on the woodwork, black mold on the ceiling panels, and mold infested all over the soaked insulation.

A new ceiling (drop ceiling) was put in, bleach was put on wood and I was told all is well. I didn't like that, and decided to get a mold test kit, since I found mold on my suitcase in my closet a few weeks ago.

Today I found it growing all over my leather jacket thats been in my closet since I moved here, so I've had enough. it explains why I have been sick more since I moved here than ever before, why my roommate can barely breathe half the time, and why my eyes are forever on fire when I am home.

Anyone have any experience w/this crap? I read up on my rights as a tenant, and I can basically walk away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0807080956.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	88290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0807080956a.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	88291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0811081017.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	88292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0811081017a.jpg 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	88293   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0811081018.jpg 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	88294  

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    http://www.killmoldfast.com/

You might try that, it is suppose to destroy the mold in spore form, something that bleach does not do.

There comes a point, in every normal mans life, where he must spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats....
    hmmm...sounds like a plan.

All you wanna do is walk away?...not me.
    Last edited by VaRedneck; 08-11-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    hmmm...sounds like a plan.

All you wanna do is walk away?...not me.
    Yeah dont want anything back other than security deposit, just want to get out of the lease, already paid rent through end of august. I got another place lined up, gonan pack my clothes and go there since its furnished.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pettee View Post
    Yeah dont want anything back other than security deposit, just want to get out of the lease, already paid rent through end of august. I got another place lined up, gonan pack my clothes and go there since its furnished.
    I think you are justified in getting the deposit back, black mold is considered a deadly substance and proper remediation was not done by the landlord. He should be happy all you want is your security deposit, you have damages from the mold on your jacket and in your lungs. Sounds like a lawsuit to me

+1
    Yup, I hope you don't have infants or kids there.. Black mold can mess them up for life.
    http://moldtestkit.com/blackmold.html

scroll 1/2 way down for symptoms

Quote Originally Posted by Pettee View Post
    ...decided to get a mold test kit...
    You need to know what kind of mold. Dont know if your test kit will do that. But local lab or health dept should be able to identify. Not all molds are as potentially harmful as Stachybotrys.

Even if its Stachybotrys, still need doctor to say if it actually caused injury before considering legal action. You also need to know whether landlord knew or reasonably should have known of problem. Maybe through prior tenant complaints, or health dept investigation etc.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    here in Illinois that is a serious crime. If there is black mold in the house/ apartment the seller/ leassor is responsable for tearing it out and putting NEW in. Its the only way to get rid of black mold. Black mold can KILL YOU! no joke! There were a few kids where i went to college that Died cause there was an infestation of this crap. If I were you, I would seriously get checked out ASAP! The s&^t grows in your lungs even if you clean it up in the house. You can sue the pants off of who ever your renting from...no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    You need to know what kind of mold. Dont know if your test kit will do that. But local lab or health dept should be able to identify. Not all molds are as potentially harmful as Stachybotrys.

Even if its Stachybotrys, still need doctor to say if it actually caused injury before considering legal action. You also need to know whether landlord knew or reasonably should have known of problem. Maybe through prior tenant complaints, or health dept investigation etc.
    I'm not considering legal action. Don't want any rent back, no damages, just security and out.

Landlord knows of problem, we had made written complaint of possible mold, and were told there was none, and a test was not needed. nothing happened until the ceiling caved in. The didn'teven fully treat the wood that was visibly moldy, and did nothing about testing the walls.

I'm starting to wonder to what point this place was damaged during Wilma. I know there was at least 2' in it, but I bet they didn't fix it right...

+1
    OMG dude, that was a blessing in disguise. Glad the ceiling fell as you woul probably would not have found out for a while. Glad you are getting out of there and getting things back to normal. MOLD is a serious toxic situation as mentioned above !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information