elec. prob 97 GTX

could use some help figuring this out.
    I get no power to the display or start button. i have checked the two fuses in the front and the fuse in the rear by the solenoid all three are good. when i jump the solenoid the motor jumps like it should and the battery is at 12.4 volts. anyone know why id lose power to the display and start button?

Check for power at the fuse in the rear electrical box. I have a 97' GTX that did the same thing. There is a wire that runs from that fuse to the starter relay. First make sure it's on the same side as the battery wire, not one that goes to the starter. Next check the condition of the wire and the ring terminal on the end. Mine fell off when I touched it. Stripped the wire back and crimped on a new one and all was good. Soldering one on would be even better. One other one could be the ground wire that runs from the box to the negative battery terminal. If it's broken, or you forgot and left it off when installing the battery, it will act the same way. Don't ask how I know

Quote Originally Posted by tzpetri View Post
    Check for power at the fuse in the rear electrical box. I have a 97' GTX that did the same thing. There is a wire that runs from that fuse to the starter relay. First make sure it's on the same side as the battery wire, not one that goes to the starter. Next check the condition of the wire and the ring terminal on the end. Mine fell off when I touched it. Stripped the wire back and crimped on a new one and all was good. Soldering one on would be even better. One other one could be the ground wire that runs from the box to the negative battery terminal. If it's broken, or you forgot and left it off when installing the battery, it will act the same way. Don't ask how I know
    first off thanks for the reply! you were right I had the red wire connected to the cable going to the starter and not the battery bam everthing came on! I hooked it up wrong when i replace the solenoid. I just rebuilt this thing completely the motor, carbs,drivetrain propulsion system all new. went to fire it up and nothin so you can bet im pumped that i can fire it up now. thanks alot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tzpetri View Post

There is a ground wire from the rear elec box that goes to the neg. battery terminal?

well i was able to fire up the GTX today but only when i put gas in the SP holes. is there a quick way to prime the carbs after a rebuild?
    or do i just keep adding fuel to the SP holes?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnIII View Post
    well i was able to fire up the GTX today but only when i put gas in the SP holes. is there a quick way to prime the carbs after a rebuild?
    or do i just keep adding fuel to the SP holes?
    Yes, remove the return fuel line off the rear carb, and pressrize it slowly with air. Place a rag or small jar/can under the barb. Keep it steadily pressurized (low pressure) until you see fuel start squirting out of the rear barb this line connects to. When it squirts, the carbs are fully primed. Just reconnect and start her up.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Yes, remove the return fuel line off the rear carb, and pressrize it slowly with air. Place a rag or small jar/can under the barb. Keep it steadily pressurized (low pressure) until you see fuel start squirting out of the rear barb this line connects to. When it squirts, the carbs are fully primed. Just reconnect and start her up.

where do i add the air pressure? from the rear return line?

so if i add pressure to the return fuel line it will force gas to move threw the system delivering gas to the carbs?
    Last edited by shawnIII; 08-12-2008 at 08:57 PM.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnIII View Post
    where do i add the air pressure? from the rear return line? Into the return line.

so if i add pressure to the return fuel line it will force gas to move threw the system delivering gas to the carbs? Bingo!

PS- Make sure your gas is on too...

thats a cool tip thanks 96. I wasnt sure i was reading how its done correctly, but its one to remember. thanks again

Thread Information