Thumb throttle conversion?

Hi all, new to the forum, great info great forum! Just bought my 250X a few weeks back and I am used to the thumb throttle on the Sea Doo's. Has anyone come up with a way to make the 250X a thumb throttle (that looks good and fits properly) and can you post some pics? My hand is killing me after 15 minutes on the ski with the trigger throttle. I ride on the rough water of lake Michigan and having use of all of my fingers on the grip is preferable to the trigger and only 3 fingers on the grip. I know I posted this same question in a twist throttle thread but I decided to post this because I really don't want a twist throttle, just a thumb throttle like my old Sea Doo's.....Thanks in advance.

Yes Justice 25 I posted to that thread but no real solutions were offered, no photos, just a lot of opinions. I'm looking for someone who has actually done this (thumb not twist) and is using it daily and can post some photos and/or suggest a proper part to replace the finger throttle that comes on the ski. I have thought about just spinning the throttle around but it would require significant cutting of the steering cushion and would leave a large gap on the front side if I could even make it work at all.

No one has done this? Am I the only one who's hand gets sore riding this beast? Maybe my throttle is slightly in the wrong location causing my hand pain? I don't know why but my hand cramps after only 10 minutes on the thing in rough water. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

+1
    Look into some better grips. The curved Kawi ones are pretty bad...of course the SD curved ones are about the same.

I'm real big on comfort, but I find the thumb throttle, one of the worst inventions and highly unsafe... Maybe you only have 3 on the bar, but with a thumb you have ZERO fingers on the backside of the bar... It actually hurts my hand more.

It shouldn't be that hard for you. Look into the Polaris side, and the SD side, and get your answers there. Most folks that ride Kawi's find the thumb throttle, abusive, at best.

Wish I could be more help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Look into some better grips. The curved Kawi ones are pretty bad...of course the SD curved ones are about the same.

I'm real big on comfort, but I find the thumb throttle, one of the worst inventions and highly unsafe... Maybe you only have 3 on the bar, but with a thumb you have ZERO fingers on the backside of the bar... It actually hurts my hand more.

It shouldn't be that hard for you. Look into the Polaris side, and the SD side, and get your answers there. Most folks that ride Kawi's find the thumb throttle, abusive, at best.

Wish I could be more help.
    +1 on the new grips.

Hydrotoys,
    Thanks for the step by step info on the install. Worked out great!

Thanks for the info, all I know is my hand is killing after 10 minutes and I used to ride the SD for hours w/no discomfort. What do you guys recomend as an improvement over the stock grips? How tough are they to change? Looks like it would be easy but I know better....

Thread Information