Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

In Need Of Help w/2000 SLX

I had picked up , a 2000 polaris slx 1200 fast(69 on smooth water)
    had it for about 2 months, I went to take it out and it went like it normally does then I had lost power to it. Now i am lucky to do 35 on it, first one i have ever owned so i do not know them well enough to figure it, out any help would be very appreciated.

MAtt
    Last edited by rmjsvcs; 08-12-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Suggested by a more knowledgable member than me

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the hulk!

Polaris Service Manuals are available here for download.

Your first ski sounds like you lost a cylinder. I'm no pro but these guys around here are, and they will surely help you.

Thank you for the quick responce, not sure what it means to have lost a cylinder, but I hope can be fixed without to much of a hassle

again thankyou

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Your two machines both have Polaris 'domestic' 1200 engines, and are mechanically similar.

The 2000 SLX uses three carburetors and a CDI ignition system, while the 1999 Genesis has the Ficht electronic fuel injection system.

This means that the electrical, fuel, and ignition diagnostics are completely different between the two machines.

1999 was the very first year for Ficht fuel injection on Polaris, and there were some changes in later model years. Most of the info in the 2002 Service Manual will still apply.

I suggest you create a separate thread for one of the machines, and continue this thread for the other. You can edit your first post in Advanced Mode to change the title to something more descriptive, so others can see what year and model you need help with.

Update your online Profile, which helps us keep track of who has what, and where.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rmjsvcs View Post
    ... not sure what it means to have lost a cylinder...
    What we suspect is that one of the three cylinders has suffered mechanical damage, which is why you have less than full engine power.

If you have, or can buy, a compression gauge, it will quickly tell you the general health of each cylinder. The Service manual outlines the process.

Report back with the compression numbers (typical healthy cylinders are usually 120PSI or higher). If one cylinder has markedly lower compression that the other two, then the next step is to remove the cylinder head from that cylinder, and look inside for signs of damage. The Service manual outlines how to remove a head.

We love to see clear photos of the engine and piston + cylinder once the head is removed. Makes it much easier to tell what needs repair, and how to go about it.

While you are on here, take the time to do some searching and reading. Any Polaris PWC with a red painted 'domestic' engine (900, 1050, 1200), especially any model with the 1200 engine, will be similar to your SLX in terms of working on the engine, and diagnostics.

The older 650, 750, and 780 engines (1992-1996) are quite different, as they were made by Fuji (and painted blue).

thank you for the insight and i will post the compression results as soon as I buy a compression gage, I do not think I will be able to get to it anytie soon(prob this weekend at the earliest)

thank you

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    thank you for the insight and i will post the compression results as soon as I buy a compression gage, I do not think I will be able to get to it anytie soon(prob this weekend at the earliest)

thank you
    WELCOME TO THE HULK
    take your time -we are in as much as a hurry as you
    and take some pics also
    YOU found the best place for people and skis
    if you like to go fast hide your wallet theres a bug going around called "my gps **.*mph at **** rpm's" it very addictive
    if you like to just cruise and hang--look in the "local rides" section to find some jet pals
    ENJOY AND HAVE FUN
    mattman

YES I LOVE THE "NEED FOR SPEED", my wife like the cruise(Boring) but dont tell her that....lol

hopefully after i get a little more mechanically inclined with my machine i will read more post on tweeking it so I can break into the 70 mph zone(OR HIGHER). My goal is to have the fastest ski on the lake were I am.

+1
    YES I LOVE THE "NEED FOR SPEED...
    ...so I can break into the 70 mph zone (OR HIGHER). My goal is to have the fastest ski on the lake were I am.
    Keep in mind that the on board MFD speedometer display on almost all PWC are not accurate, especially at higher speeds. Some people call them the Dream-o-meter

The only accurate method is to strap a portable GPS unit to the machine, go for a fats ride, and see what maximum speed it reports.

Only the very fastest, big engined PWC will do (a ltittle) better than 65mph (GPS measured) in stock form, from the factory. That includes the 250HP 2008 models.

Many mainstream models, including your SLX, run right around 60mph (GPS), or a little less.

Happily, your SLX happens to be one of the faster models Polaris ever produced, and has most of the go-fast goodies as standard.

Once you get the engine in mechanically fit shape (and this is crucial to everything else), then you can explore the speed tweaks.

The biggest, baddest speed boost is the installation of tuned triple exhaust pipes. Hard to find (I think there is a set for sale right now in the Classifieds), and something of a challenge to get installed, triple pipes act like a turbocharger for a 2-stroke engine. VERY fast, circa 200HP. No Polaris domestic engine came from the factory with triple pipes.
    Last edited by K447; 08-12-2008 at 03:14 PM.

after 60 mph, the next 1 - 2 mph is about $1000.00, the next 1 mph is about another 1k, the next 1 mph after that is 1.5k - 2k...

you getthe idea, speed costs - how fast do you wish t go?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information