Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Top speed and RPM on a 2000 GTX

I have a 2000 GTX, and it only runs 58-59 mph. by the speedometer and 6690 RPM's. It has 151 lbs. of compression in one cylinder and 153 in the other. My old motor ran 64-65 mph. and 6850 RPM's. The new motor has the rave's set flush, which is where I read they should be. The old motor had them turned all the way in. I cant see this making that difference, but I havent played with the raves on the motor to see yet. When I first put the motor in, it was only turning 6600 RPM's. The Rave on the water box was 4 clicks past be flushing. I turned it in to where it was flush also and gain some RPM? What is my next step?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The speedo is innacurate as far as consistency, so don't be upset if it doesn't register the same speed when you get your rpms back. But...the tach is and should be what you should watch.

What exactly was replaced when you went..."from old motor to new motor?"

The old motor snapped the rod and it went through the right case. A buddy of mine had a XP, that had 16 hours on it, and got rearended. I bought his jetski back from the insurance company for the motor and put it in mine. I new the speedometer was off, but I thought it should be higher up on the rpms. I have a solas intake grate, and a Solas 15/20 Concord prop, but that was used for 6 hours on the old motor before it ate the cases.

Do you still have the MPEM? If so, put it in your ski and see if the rpms go back up to normal.

It could just be the timing is different between the two MPEMs/engines. Easy to adjust, but has to be done at the dealer.

I dont have the mpem, I adjusted the red caps on the rads on the motor, to being flush, I am know running 6720 RPMS now. I dont have the mpem off the other ski, but I took it to the dealer and asked them if there was a timing issue from switching the motors, and the guy said no, the only way to adjust the timing was to take off the side cover of the motor and adjust it that way, but from what he said, the timing shouldnt change between the 2. ski's.

Bull if thats a 951 the timing is done in Buds electronicly The MPEM from the xp wont work in a GTX Only the 720,650, and 580 are set in the flywheel area. You need another dealer with buds or a programer. Also pull the rave caps and run the ski on the water if you get you rpm back find out why they arent working corectly.

Ok, I'll pull the rave caps tommorow, and see what happens, now should the red dial on rave caps be flush on the 951, or should they be all the way down. The service manager told me turning the red dial on the rave caps, but i've adjusted the one on the pipe and on the motor, and thats the only way i've gotten any extra RPM. I'l have to see if I can find another sea doo dealer, as far as I know this one is the only one within a 100 mile radius or better.

I pulled the caps off today, and ran it, with no gains. I went back to the sea doo dealer and talked to the manager today, and he said the only thing he could do is retard the timing with the computer, and give it a little more bottom end, but there nothing he could do for the RPM or top end. His reason for my original motor running 64, and this one only running 58, is maybe my original motor had a few less flaws in the casting from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Quad411 View Post
    I pulled the caps off today, and ran it, with no gains. I went back to the sea doo dealer and talked to the manager today, and he said the only thing he could do is retard the timing with the computer, and give it a little more bottom end, but there nothing he could do for the RPM or top end. His reason for my original motor running 64, and this one only running 58, is maybe my original motor had a few less flaws in the casting from the factory.
    First off to increase bottom end..your advance the timing, not retard it. Your dealer is an idiot. I wouldn't let him touch my ski if he was the last dealer in 600 miles. You can send your MPEM off and have it programmed...FYI.

When I had only one RAVE opening I turned the exact same rpms as you, 6720. Pull them and make sure they are clean and not sticking.

I took the Ravs out over the weekend, and cleaned them, and installed new NGK plugs gapped at .020. Still no change in the RPM, what next?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information