Thread: Paging Jerry

Paging Jerry

Jerry:

Got the pump out and am waiting for the new impeller to arrive today.

Need to go to the store and get a 12mm alen wrench then i should be ready.

Question: I notice when looking at the drive shaft with the pump all removed, I see a black rubber "boot" with what appears to be threads on the end of it. This boot ends about an inch infront of the drive shaft splines. Are these threads there for a reason?

Reason I ask is that when I pulled the pump off, after getting the last bold out, the pump basically fell loose. Was I supposed to turn the impeller and back it off the threads?

If you say yes to this, how will I know that i have it right unless I pull the grate.

Talk me through this part.

thanks much

impeler boot

The rubber boot is what comes off the stock impeller. It threads on to the impeller(reverse threads). You could pull that off. You will get a new one with the solas impeller or you could reuse the rubber one. There has been people having problems with the solas green cone coming off.

Peter

+1
    I think Jerry uses the stock black cone with some Ultra Black silicone to keep it on. I may try that with me green aluminum one next time I swap props.

+1
    I tried right stuff silicone on the green one and it still walked up the shaft.
    The only thing that worked for me is silicone on the stock nose cone.

yep, that boot (impeller nose cone) is supposed to stay attached to the impeller. I used silicone on the threads of the boot to secure it to my impeller. Put a good 30-40 hours on it since then and has not come loose.

I realized that it should have come off with the impeller after I looked at the new Solas in the box. I wonder if it was off before I took the impeller out. I pulled it off and it screws right into the new impeller. I will reuse this one.

After I unpacked my goodies from PPG, I was snet the wrong impeller removal tool. It is about 3/4" too small to meet the splines. PPG is sending me another one overnight so I can get this thing together tomorrow before I leave.

Do you guys have any tricks I can use to get the impeller off (Keep in mind I am going to get the old one fixed) and the new one back on knowing that I do not have a removal tool?

I would really like to get this thing together tonight so I can leave for the cabin earlier.

I have thought of everything that I could use to hold the impeller from moving, and i cannot come up with a red neck solution.

any ideas?

anyone, anyone, anyone...................bueller

Danny GSXL came up with a "red neck" (as you put it) tool. His email addy is on PPG'S website.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy River
    Danny GSXL came up with a "red neck" (as you put it) tool. His email addy is on PPG'S website.
    Ahh, better not do that. Danny "red labeled" a new tool for delivery tomorrow morning.........

I just thought I could somehow get that sucker out tonight and get it back together.

I found a solution to the solas boot coming off.

I took a chisel, and gently tapped the threads of the boot sideways. It put an indent in them, and then I screwed it on. It was a bit tough to screw on by hand, but that sucker will not come off now, unless I get after it with some channel locks or something......

They should do this at the factory..........

Thread Information