Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    1st time owner

Still working on 94 sl650

Ok so I think I have narrowed my problem down to either all three individual coils, or the CDI. Not sure if the coils are my problem cause they ohm to correct specs. I checked the stator with my ohm meter tonight and everything was good to go as the service manual said all within specs of the manual. I am still not getting any spark though. Can anyone tell me how the spark plug wires are supposed to connect. I pulled the PTO cylinder wire out of the boot and it was virtually no wire there. Does that plug wire just shove in there and make contact with the little spike inside there. Is that what purpose the zip tie serves is to hold the wire inside there. I am thinking i need a cdi though because I am not sure exactly what else will keep it from firing. So I think I have exhausted all my options on trying to find a CDI so if anyone knows of one that has popped up in the ast week I need asap so I can at least winterize the thing properly with it running. Any help I can get I will take even if its just a lead on where to find one. Thanks

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    A sheared flywheel key can also prevent spark.

Pretty sure a 650 CDI or 2 popped up on Ebay recently.

As for the plug boots they can be ohm tested as well. (5k)

They also screw into the wire, the spike you speak of is actually threaded and the zip tie helps to keep it there.

Cut the plug wire back about 1/4" to expose new clean wire and resecure the plug boot on the wire.

1st time owner
    I saw that CDI on ebay just a minute ago but it was off a 92 and I am under the impression that it has to be off a 94-95 650 only. Would a sheared flywheel key keep me from having compression too. Because I have all 118psi on all three cylinders. It had good spark on the front two cylinders till I opened the electrical box and found a crimped wire to the back cylinder. So I spliced it and put it all back together only to have no spark on all three now. I trimmed the spark plug wires back too and re threaded all the boots with new zip ties in place. I just cant get a damn spark out of the thing or I know it would come alive again. I am going to order some coils but zigler told me the coils didnt come with wires and I didnt think the wire came off the coils. I am about to give up on this thing and light a match and burn away the money I have dumped into this money pit in the last month. Including buying it and only getting to ride it twice. But once I get it running again it will be pretty much rebuilt.

+1
    Recheck the wiring to the coils. It sounds like a grounded coil. They are in series.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1992-1998FactoryManual.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	371.0 KB 
ID:	88541  

1st time owner
    I have checked the wiring over and over. What else could ground one besides a pinched wire?? I repaired the section of the wire that was pinched and no bare metal connection showing. Which coil is the first in sequence because initially I had no spark on the PTO cylinder now none...

1st time owner
    Anyone know anything about pacific trading company in orange park florida?? They have a CDI for mine but I dont know what else to try before replacing that and if it was the CDI that went bad what would cause it to go bad that I might need to fix before replacing it and risk burning it up again??

1st time owner
    Which coils does the fire start with and where does it end. Does fire come into the front cylinder first of the back cylinder first. I cant figure out which one is the primary and so on. Excuse my ignorance I am just PWC retarded.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by verrettej View Post
    Which coils does the fire start with and where does it end. Does fire come into the front cylinder first of the back cylinder first.
    I can't figure out which one is the primary and so on...
    Not sure what you are asking.

All three coils are wired in series. The CDI fires all three coils together, regardless of which cylinder needs the spark. All three spark plugs then fire simultaneously, every time any one of them needs a spark.

The CDI sends a strong electrical pulse through the Black/White and Black wires, which flows through all three primary windings (one in each of the coils) via the connecting Black/White wires.

Each coil then sends a high voltage spark pulse from the secondary winding (one inside each coil) to its connected spark plug. Each coil has a primary winding, and a secondary winding, combined together inside the coil housing.

The CDI gets the signals to fire the coils from the electrical stator inside the flywheel (White/Yellow wire).
    Last edited by K447; 08-13-2008 at 09:12 PM.

I think some people have the impression that a plug can/should only fire once per revolution....
    In reality, there is only a finite period when fireing the plug will lead to combustion.
    If it fires 129 ahead of time, then there won't be fuel/air available to ignite yet. If 120 late, then the fuel will have ready been ignited and the piston is preparing to scavenge the case again.

1st time owner
    Ok K447 how do you check to see if the CDI is sending the signal to the coils?? Like I said before the coils all ohm out to specs per the service manual. The stator also read correct specs on every individual wire as stated in the service manual. So what else would keep this thing from getting fire all the sudden??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information