+1

Making an XL800 more reliable?

A friend of mine just bought a 2000 XL800.The ski is near mint with 40 hours.He has a cottage on a small inland lake.He lets anybody ride the ski and he doesn't take very good care of it.I am storing it for him for the winter and he told me do any work I wanted to the ski.I am thinking of installing Waveater clip's and posssibly a D plate.I don't care to make it any faster,just more reliable.Any more suggestions?

jy---many people overlook the XL800. In your quest for reliability, the Waveeater Kit you mentioned is a good place to start, but the 2000's came with the early version powervalves which are notorious for breaking and causing problems and should be addressed. The 2000's also came with the thin style impeller housing which should be inspected at minimum.
    A pump seal kit is also a relatively inexpensive mod which adds both reliability and performance.

+1
    I thought the Waveater clips took care of the powervalve problem?How reliable are the cat convertors in the 2000's?I want my friend to be able to use any kind of oil.

+1
    800 don't have cats so no worry there . replace the power valves! they break often in early models . and always add some two stroke oil in the gas tank. even with oil injection . helps fight the effects of dam!! ethanol fuel!

+1
    Could convert to Pre-mix no issues with oil pump failure or oil line issues but relies on users to mix 2 stroke as required............

+1
    To be honest, going to wave eater clips, changing or re-securing oil lines, using good oil, the ski is very reliable.
    Trim is a joke though. Dont expect it to do much. Good stable ski.

+1
    Clips are a pain to install on the 800. They are very necessary though. I worked in a couple of 800's that broke a PV which blew out the exhaust with no damage. As for the oil lines, 1/8 x 1/4 tygon, use oetiker clamps to secure, and the oil system is bulletproof as long as you keep oil in the tank. Pump seal kit is a necessary addition also. Very reliable, stable ski. Not too bad on gas as long as you stay off WOT.

Not sure why my post didnt show up

I went with clips and secured the lines correctly. Both were super reliable until I sold the pair, each with over 200 hours

Thread Information