Taking ski's to Dauphin island, anyone ever been??

Hey guys, well the skis are running good and we are going to Dauphin island for 10 days off the coast of Mobile Al. Have any of you ever been there?? Any cool places to look for, ride to, ext... It looks pretty awesome, there are oil rigs right off the island, i dont know about any reefs or other things close by. Anyone been there and have any suggestions??
    Here is a picture of the island and a red arrow marking where i will be chillin 50 yards from the ocean in a 3 bedroom beach house!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dauphin island.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	88540  

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
    When I was at U of Miami, We used to go fishing off the oil rigs for grouper and jew fish. take a drag line and troll at idol. careful though, some of the fish we caught were 300#+ Largest was a jew fish that was over 500#. Hammerheads eat them as you are reeling them in.

Alabama Gulf Coast
    Let me be the one to say "Welcome to Gods country"!! Here is a link to alot of info about boating in Al.

In the photo you attached, the ferry crossing is across Mobile Bay to the Fort Morgan peninsula in Baldwin County (this is my home county). The best places to ride will depend on your riding style preferences. Smooth cruising or wave jumping. Dixie Bar runs off the beach to the south from Fort Morgan and can be deadly rough at times so respect it.

The North side of the Island is the Mississippi sound and the South side will be the Gulf of Mexico. In the bay to the east is the Mobile ship channel. Be sure to at least take a ride out to Sand Island light house for a photo. You cand beach it there for all the rocks but its kinda neat to see. Dauphin Island is one of a series of barrier islands that run along the gulf coast of Al. and Miss. I've always thought a trip to petty boy island would be a good time but have never done it. (That would be to the west on the Gulf side.)

I wish I could tell you more about the Mobile side but I just don't get over to the island that often.

Anyway, hope the weather is great for your stay. Keep it safe and enjoy some of the nicest beaches in the world.

Alabama Gulf Coast
    Here is a little bit more info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sitemap3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	88635  
    Last edited by 1stpolaris; 08-13-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Some kind of crazy jibberish was on there.

Thread Information