1997 GTX Rev Cycling

My 1997 GTX started acting up last week and I thought I would see if this Forum could help me troubleshoot the problem. After a few minutes of operation at max RPM of around 7,000 the motor starts cycling between 4,500 and 5,500 RPM. After the motor cools for a few hours it works fine again for a few minutes and then starts to cycle again. I have researched this site extensively and such rev problems are usually put down to dirty carb fuel filters, poor fuel lines, corroded/dirty fuel selector valve and sometimes carbs which need rebuilding. However since the problem with my machine seems to be associated with a hot engine I dont think any of these possible problems can be the cause since I assume they would be present at startup and engine warmup during which my machine works fine. A couple of similar posts have mentioned that it could be spark plugs, plug gap or wires or exhaust gas leaking into the hull. I changed the plugs and can find no leaks in the exhaust system although the the larger rubber exhaust hose at the back feels very soft and may be crimping when it gets hot. Dont know if restricting exhaust gas flow would cause such cycling. Also when the problem first started a month or so ago I changed the plugs and got another 10 hours or so of runtime. When the problem reappeared I tried two new sets of plugs but that did not rectify the problem a second time. Also a local boat engine mechanic tested the compression and it was at 153 lbs per cylinder. Any ideas would be much appreciated as I dont really feel like shelling out a grand for all the possible fixes until the dealer gets it right. Have been there and done that and it is very frustrating.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconFour View Post
    I have researched this site extensively and such rev problems are usually put down to dirty carb fuel filters, poor fuel lines, corroded/dirty fuel selector valve and sometimes carbs which need rebuilding. However since the problem with my machine seems to be associated with a hot engine I dont think any of these possible problems can be the cause since I assume they would be present at startup and engine warmup during which my machine works fine.
    The key word in your staement was "ASSUME"

Welcome to the forum,now clean/rebuild the carbs,replace fuel valve & fuel lines & your problem will go away.

It gets worse because a hot engine requires more fuel than a cold engine.

Thread Information