Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New guy bought a ski

Hello-
    I stumbled onto the forum the other day when I went out and bought a ski at the wife's urging. We ended up buying a 1997 SL 700 DLX with a nice one-place trailer from some kid who needed some money. I paid $1,400.00 all together and he threw in a tube and rope along with the cover. I guess it will be a good deal if it runs good. It looks to be in very good and clean shape. I plan on taking it out in a couple of days so maybe I will post some pictures. Wish us luck and I look forward to learning more from the forums.

By the way, I was already a Polaris fan. I have a couple of Poalris snowmobiles.
    B.F.
    Omak, WA

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the HULK The 700 is a good durable engine.And should give you alot of fun..What's going to be the next ski,never can have just one.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

This is the best resource available for Polaris PWC (and everything else PWC).

You can download a 1992-1998 Polaris Service Manual from here.

Take the time to update your Profile, which helps us see who has what, and where.

Your 1997 SL700 Deluxe has a 701cc twin cylinder engine (85HP rating), which I think is considered one of the more fuel efficient carbureted Polaris 'domestic' PWC engines.

Take the time to check it over thoroughly, even if the previous owner said it was in great condition, and had been riding it.

More than once, we have heard the story from a new owner of a used machine, that it was running great at first - right up until it died with major engine damage.

Have a look through the owner's manual (did you get one with the machine?).

Also look at the Service Manual. Confirm that the correct spark plugs are installed, and that all the maintenance items have been checked. Check engine compression, just to be sure there are no surprises.

Are you familiar with boating and PWC operation?
    Lots of good information and advice available around here.

Once you have it checked out, greased the drive shaft fittings, with fresh fuel (89 octane or better, preferably with no Ethanol) and oil (TC-W3) topped up, plan your shakedown ride.

Have a tow boat handy, just in case. Know what you need to do to protect the engine BEFORE you get towed, to avoid major engine damage from the tow itself.

thanks for the welcome....

I am very familiar with boating. I have a cabin cruiser that we take to the river. I plan on taking the ski out this friday hopefully. I will have a buddy ready to tow me back if it breaks down. I have read the service manual online but the previous owner hasn't come up with the owner's manual yet. I will give him a call today and see if he has found it.

How do you prep a brokew down ski that is about to be towed? Pictures to follow in a few days...
    Last edited by snocrazee; 08-13-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: understandable

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by snocrazee View Post
    ...How do you prep a broken down ski that is about to be towed?...
    You need to clamp off the cooling water inlet hose, to prevent the exhaust system water injection from back flooding into the engine.

You can save a copy of the service manual to your computer. Just click on the little disk icon at the top left of the PDF page (Click to save this file to your computer). Much better than downloading it each time.
    Last edited by K447; 08-13-2008 at 01:25 PM.

By the way...

How fast should this ski go? I have heard close to 50mph. I will take a GPS and see what shows up. It might help me make sure the ski is running good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by snocrazee View Post
    How fast should this ski go? I have heard close to 50mph. I will take a GPS and see what shows up.
    It might help me make sure the ski is running good.
    GPS speed will probably be around 45-50mph.

A good indication of engine health is the sustained RPM at full throttle.

Not sure what normal should be for the twin, but the RPM limiter in the CDI is 6700RPM, so your optimum will be something less than 6700RPM

2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar
    welcome to the hulk.
    right place to be

Took out the ski

Well, to make a long story short, my 8 year old son and I took the ski out to the columbia river. I have a buddy that has a ranch up river and we wanted to go there but his road is closed because of a forest fire. The only way to get to his place was to put the ski in 25 miles downriver. We backed the trailer in and unloaded the ski and I started it up and took it for a quick test run. Everything worked great so I went back and picked up my son and we went 25 miles up river to my buddy's ranch. We had a great time and the ski ran perfect.

I didn't get a chance to take pictures but I plan on taking some today when we head out to the lake for some fun... More later...

Cliff notes: Took out ski for first time. Ski ran great for about a 60 mile trip. Pictures later.

+1
    Nice glad you enjoyed it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information