+1

4tec intake - Is removal necessary?

I'll be installing a 4-tec 155hp engine in my 2003 GTX VTC this weekend. When i bought the ski, the engine was missing except for a few parts (Intake, PTO cover, valve cover). Thus I did not have the pleasure of removing such engine. I have a complete engine sitting on a pallet with the intake installed. I have read the thread on 4tec removal rebuild and installation, and noticed a step to remove the intake assy prior to removal. Was this for clearance?

Is it totally necessary to remove the intake in order to install the engine??

Thanks guys.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rhislo View Post
    I'll be installing a 4-tec 155hp engine in my 2003 GTX VTC this weekend. When i bought the ski, the engine was missing except for a few parts (Intake, PTO cover, valve cover). Thus I did not have the pleasure of removing such engine. I have a complete engine sitting on a pallet with the intake installed. I have read the thread on 4tec removal rebuild and installation, and noticed a step to remove the intake assy prior to removal. Was this for clearance?

Is it totally necessary to remove the intake in order to install the engine??

Thanks guys.

Yea, it helps gain clearance as you drop the motor in...its better to have clearance than find out while dropping that you need some extra space...

You can install the engine with the intake attached, but you have almost no room for error.

+1
    Gotcha. Kind of what I figured. One of those pay me now or pay me later deals. If I don't remove it, it will be more difficult to place the engine, BUT I don't have to install the intake afterwards. OR remove it, place engine easier, but have to go back and re-install intake after engine placement. Well a buddy is helping me out, so we'll see what we can do without removing it...I'll keep in mind the possibility of removal is very likely though!

Thanks guys. I'll post what worked for me when the madness is over!

Banned User
    +1
    If you remove it, it makes laying the airing harness, throttle linkage, and other items a LOT easier...

When we decided to remove the flame arrestor from inside the manifold on my father's RXT-X, I had everything off and the manifold out in under 7 minutes...Which was good because we found the 4" intake hose we ran to be kinked on a wire loom underneath....

Thread Information