Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Best Gelcoat Repair Kits?

    My '96 XP received a courtesy dock inflicted wound on the front at Lake Powell last week. It is a small crease, but it did go through the gelcoat.

    Which is the best kit available for small gelcoat repairs? Those that I have heard about are:

    1) Spectrum Color
    2) Gelcote
    3) Evercoat (from West Marine)

    The first two, Spectrum and Gelcote, supposedly send color matched material. Evercoat contains the pigment and you mix it yourself.

    How good is the color matching on Spectrum and Gelcote? Are there any differences in these kits, or are they all pretty much the same? Spectrum's website says that there is a different lower hull yellow than upper hull yellow.....I'm pretty certain that the yellow on my '96 XP is the same top and bottom; is this not the case?


  2. #2
    Great thread - I hope that you get a bunch of replies because I'm curious about other people's experiences.

    I just recently used the Evercoat Kit from West Marine to perform a repair to the black portion of my gelcoat on my 2006 RXP. The Evercoat Kit includes clear gelcoat and several different tubes of pigment.

    On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give the color match an 8. It turned out pretty good but the black color is off by a shade or two.

    The gelcoat in the Evercoat Kit is in a paste form - almost like toothpaste. I ended up with a couple of tiny pinholes in my repaired area after I sanded the gelcoat. I watched a gelcoat repair video on YouTube that showed the gelcoat in a liquid form - I think that would be better to eliminate the chance of getting air pockets that turn into pinholes when sanded down.

    Good luck with your repair and I hope that others chime in.
    Last edited by Mason Lake; 08-13-2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

  3. #3
    thompsdw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    880
    +1
    1
    I have used both Spectrum Color and Gelcoat patch kits. I have had some problems with Spectrum Color kits of late (had one go bad - turned solid). They said they would replace within 90 days. The Gelcoat Intl kit I purchased was a good match and worked very well.

    I have tried to color match with Evercoat many times. It it were white you could hit the color pretty well, otherwise, you need to NOT be a perfectionist (like I am). I do not want to see the repair and have good luck in this context with the matched kits. Maybe I am not good at color matching, but I can't seem to ever get close to off colors unless you are just doing a tint lighter or darker.

    I would recommend both Spectrum or Gelcoat Intl. Maybe I just received a bum batch, but they have always stood behind their product.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsdw View Post
    I have used both Spectrum Color and Gelcoat patch kits. I have had some problems with Spectrum Color kits of late (had one go bad - turned solid). They said they would replace within 90 days. The Gelcoat Intl kit I purchased was a good match and worked very well.

    I have tried to color match with Evercoat many times. It it were white you could hit the color pretty well, otherwise, you need to NOT be a perfectionist (like I am). I do not want to see the repair and have good luck in this context with the matched kits. Maybe I am not good at color matching, but I can't seem to ever get close to off colors unless you are just doing a tint lighter or darker.

    I would recommend both Spectrum or Gelcoat Intl. Maybe I just received a bum batch, but they have always stood behind their product.
    Were the Spectrum and Gelcoat Intl. kits more of a gelcoat paste or more like the consistancy of paint/oil?

  5. #5
    bron1c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Guilderland, New York
    Posts
    492
    Oh this reminds me, our boat has like 2 different quarter sized holes in the bottom, the fiberglass is exposed, what do I use on that?

  6. #6
    The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Odessa, TX
    Posts
    5,364
    Quote Originally Posted by bron1c View Post
    Oh this reminds me, our boat has like 2 different quarter sized holes in the bottom, the fiberglass is exposed, what do I use on that?
    Duct Tape

    If its not all the way through use a gel cote repair kit.

  7. #7
    bron1c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Guilderland, New York
    Posts
    492
    It didn't go through the fiberglass really just the layer to where it is exposed

  8. #8
    Shogren65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Spencer, MA
    Posts
    88
    I would go with the Gelcote kit. They are the original suppliers for sea doos gelcote.

  9. #9
    thompsdw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    880
    +1
    1
    Yes, they are a paste and they will hang upside down with no problem. The Spectrum kit is a much thicker paste than the Gelcoate kit and it also seems to cure much quicker.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsdw View Post
    Yes, they are a paste and they will hang upside down with no problem. The Spectrum kit is a much thicker paste than the Gelcoate kit and it also seems to cure much quicker.
    Is the thicker paste and the faster curing a good thing or a bad thing?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best gelcoat repair kit for 2007 STX 12F?
    By vwmikey99 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 08:58 AM
  2. Gelcoat repair kit.
    By 1996XP in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 06:31 PM
  3. ? Where to go for best big bore kits ?
    By blasterboy1980 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
  4. Body Shop Gelcoat Repair Screwballs!!
    By NCNismo32 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 09:32 AM
  5. GELCOAT Repair Question
    By GTI06 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 06:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •