Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sea Doo Death

Sea Doo Death

So I was out saturday and my engine died on me. It didnt sound like anthing bad had happened, just that the engine died out. I tried restarting and I herd metal slapping. So I stopped and got towed it.

Started ripping the engine apart today and found huge chunks of metal layying there and a hole in the bottom end. So now the whole engine is out, I cracked the bottom end and found that only half of the bottom end had oil. Now this makes no sense to me, I was hoping that you guys knows why this is and some sugestions of what I should do now.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    My guess is that you see no oil due to the heat build up on that cylinder, rod & everything else... cooked it!

+1
    Those are ugly & very costly pictures bro!!! Been there many times with the old 800's

+1
    Post some more information about mods etc... my help you with answers as to what caused this to happen!

Well, as for this season, I had the carbs rebuilt. The mechanic told me that they were completely clogged up and had to add a block off kit. Other then that, the motor has not been touched. The only other thing that I know of being dont to the engine was a top end job by the prvious owner. That was about 30-40 hours ago.

I am kinda new to jetskis, have my knowledge is bikes. Whats goin on with the oil aspect of the engine? where do you put the oil in for the lower end, how much do you put in, and how do you change it. I just had the mechanic do this for me last time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulz01 View Post
    Well, as for this season, I had the carbs rebuilt. The mechanic told me that they were completely clogged up and had to add a block off kit. Other then that, the motor has not been touched. The only other thing that I know of being dont to the engine was a top end job by the prvious owner. That was about 30-40 hours ago.

I am kinda new to jetskis, have my knowledge is bikes. Whats goin on with the oil aspect of the engine? where do you put the oil in for the lower end, how much do you put in, and how do you change it. I just had the mechanic do this for me last time.
    You are new to ski's I see... There is no oil to add or change in the bottom end, it's a two stroke motor... the crank gets oiled by the fuel-oil mixture from the reed valves. From what you stated about being done to the motor, I would question what Mfg. of pistons were used, who bored & set the piston to bore clearance, was the squish set properly etc... Many things to question, but your about to be starting from scratch, as your cases are shot along with the crank, pistons & cylinders. By looking at the pictures... your other cylinder shows a lot of heavy skirt wear for only having 30-40 hrs. on it???
    Last edited by BigDaddyRXP; 08-13-2008 at 10:50 PM.

You say a block off kit was fitted. Did you add oil to the fuel and if so how much oil to fuel? It is a two stroke engine so needs oil in the fuel either by the original oil pump or by adding oil to the fuel!

I know that I have to run oil in the fuel. Again, I said that I have expreience with engines, just not jet skis. I have been running 4oz of oil to each gallon, what ever ratio that comes out to. This was off recomendation from a Sea Doo mechanic.

So now, what do I do? Do I sell what I have left off as parts to get money for something elseor do I get a rebuilt engine or rebuild an engine myself? What would u guys do? This could be a winter project, would justlike to have something for next season atleast.
    Last edited by Paulz01; 08-14-2008 at 10:46 AM.

+1
    If you know engines you would know that 2 strokes dont carry oil in the bottom end.

Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post
    If you know engines you would know that 2 strokes dont carry oil in the bottom end.
    Motorcycles do

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information