A little OT: why do my tie-downs keep coming loose?

I've tried at least 5 different types of tie-downs to anchor my RXT to the trailer. No matter what type of locking mechanism used, they ALWAYS come loose at least a couple of inches. I have a heavy duty winch on the trailer so I don't think it's slipping. What's the deal? Does your ski stay tight or loosen up like mine?

I have the same issue with my RXP. After I tighten them down, I try to l to pull and twist to loosen them to see how they are coming loose. They are tight. I get to the ramp or home and they have slipped 2-6 inches.

+1
    If the straps get wet, they will stretch. The sheer weight of these new Carriers bouncing on the trailer will cause the straps to stretch. Also, if you don't have the boat all the way up to the bow stops, you will get slack. Get them as tight as you can and check them frequently.

Same slippage no matter if the straps are wet or dry. Same slippage no matter what straps are used. Only explanation is that the ski weighs almost half a ton and must be sliding around somehow and pulling the straps(?). Very strange since some of the straps are rated for WAY more than that. Hmmm.... Only other explanation is that the bow stop is flexing or rails are flexing or.....?

+1
    Winch the ski firmly against the bow stop (check to see that he bolts holding the winch and bow stop are tight) Use the "rachet type" tie down clamps on the stern, making them really tight. Never had any problems with loosening.

Richard

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    you need to pull the tie downs very snug... than loop it and pull a not in it right to the latch part with the teeth taht's supposed to keep it from releasing. that's what i do.. NEVER looosens. jsut a quick loop and pull it right against the latch and it's like a backup lock so it cna't slip thru.

+1
    With the rachet lever type straps, their is no extra strap material to tie in a knot, nor is there any need to. All the strap is wound up on the spool and there is no chance of it slipping or loosening. Home Depot carries these as well as Sams club. Mine came from Sams, packed 4 to a box.

Richard

When Trailing the ski slips forward and settles an inch or so... (more apparent on the roller trailers).

I tighten up the straps, drive for a couple of km's and pull over, this is usually long enough for the ski to settle. Then I re-tighten the straps and they will stay tight then forever. Driven 7 hours and they were still as tight as when I set off

I do the same as scooby and it seems to work for me.

Thread Information