Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advantages of "Battery Tender"?

I know a lot of people use the "Battery Tender" to keep batteries fresh. I have a multifunction battery charger that will charge at 2 amps/12 volts until charged, and then trickle charge. Isn't that essentially what the Battery Tender does? Or does it do it differently or better than a typical battery charger?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Battery tenders are the best money you'll ever spend! I have gotten up to 7 yrs. of use out of factory ski batteries! I've got like 6 of them at the house... everything with a battery is plugged up!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Overcharging is the best way to shorten the life of a battery. Many automotive sized battery chargers push too much power into the smaller batteries that PWC use, even in 'trickle' mode. This constant overcharging degrades the battery over time.

The better quality battery maintainers do more than just charge the battery. They respond to the state of charge, and maintain the battery at exactly 100% charged, with effectively zero overcharge.

I like the VDC Electronics BatteryMINDer. Not only does it do an excellent job of properly charging the battery, but once charged, it applies a special voltage cycle to the battery, which over time reduces the effects of sulfation. This can significantly extend the battery life.

The VDC 12248 model also has a setting for AGM batteries, which is best for the Deka ETX16L batteries I use in my PWC.

The Battery Tender is similar, but I don't know if has the same anti-sulfation capability.

I use this one...
    http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11_12
    If the ski is not in the water it's on the batterytender all the time.

Do you have to disconnect the battery from the ski when using the Battery Tender, or can you leave it hooked up? I thought I've read in the past that if you disconnect the battery it can screw with the electronics, vts, etc,. Still so much to learn.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    Do you have to disconnect the battery from the ski when using the Battery Tender, or can you leave it hooked up? I thought I've read in the past that if you disconnect the battery it can screw with the electronics, vts, etc,. Still so much to learn.
    Don't disconnect the battery.. Sea-doo's tend to forget who they are when unhooked for a long period of time.

Thanks for the information.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    The battery tenders come with standard alligator clips & also a pig tail that you can connect to the battery posts for easier plug-ups... works nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    No...the pigtale for the battery tender hooks up directly to the battery and stays that way. You just plug in the tender when you are not riding.

Still crazy after all these beers Mac Daddy Racing's Avatar
    Best money spent. I have 6 years on the gel cell battery for the ski. Plugged in when not on the water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information