Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

The Electric Supercharger!!

There is some merit to this little air fan.

Back in the day, we put a 4-inch marine blower into a Waveblaster and I'll be danged if it did'nt give us about 60-80 rpm. But, this was in the tight, enclosed area of a Blaster engine bay. It pressurized the inside to a point where it was forcing air into the carburetors. It worked but you had to watch your jetting..I think we opened up the high screw about 1/2 turn...can't specifically remember.

I am not sure about Green Hornet's results but, it could very well bring the FI's a good punch of top-end boost from pressurized air in the fuel injection tube. Not sure how the fuel/air sensor will handle it.

I would like to know what would happen with a carbed ski...but that little sucker would have to come on at certain times without impeding low/mid air requirements. I'm wondering if we used a microtouch box that would cut the fan on at high rpm's...then shut-off while going below say...7200 rpm's. The when you opened her up..BLAMMO!! Air being forced in. Hmmmmmmm...I like it.

Ok who's gonna blow their....errr...who wants to experiment with this magic fan??

Also...did you check out the cfm's of this freakshow?? I know 1 psi does'nt sound like much...but forcing air in must give a boost. Even to carbed skis?? 60 amps is a lot of juice..2 batts will be a must....come on some of you electric geeks chime in. How can this be adapted?

www.electricsupercharger.com[/b]

+1
    Mike you must have been reading my mind, you and i posted this info at the same time! I am wondering about my carbs also....Nando, will you test this for us? Just Kidding!

You never know...

I have an email out to them now. I may give her a try! I was thinking the same as you piston; I like the idea of presurizing the hull...

+1
    The whole key is to allow enough air in during normal operation and when the super-fan engages it will pressurize and force air into the carbs. I think the efi's will be able to adjust with their map sensors but carbs will have to be either re-jetted or screw adjusted to compensate for the rush of air.

Could be 80-100 rpm gains and 2-4 mph depending.

there is one thing we all need to understand about EFI
    its like a open nozzle with constant pressure @ WOT thats it...thats all she will give at this time.
    most of our ski are at 77mph+(EFI that is) so its all hull work and props for now.

the next step now is to port our fuel intakes
    this is some of the things teamWFO is working on now i think.
    i my self am working on a lil someting to (working my ass off 24/7 at the new shop so not much time on this lately) basically looking for higher PSI injecters

we need to find more fuel

RICH give me a call when you can we need to talk

+1
    I hate to be negative guys, but how many amps does the thing draw?

max current draw is 57amps for the e-RAM, and 114 amps for the Super e-RAM. This is as much as a high powered stereo, headlights, electric radiator cooling fan, or the starter motor on your car. Most car batteries with over 200 cold-cranking amps can handle draws of over 100 amps while the engine is running with no problems.
    It takes roughly 1 Cold Cranking Amp of a battery power per cubic inch to turn a just a starter, a 1300 is 79 CID, even your super ODYSSEY sealed batteries have a CCA rating of 265, 625 CCA for 5 seconds, and rated at 70 degree temps.

Imagine a Geo metro with a 1.3 ltr engine (1300 right) ...

1996 Geo Metro L4-079 1.3L VIN 9 TBI
    Vehicle Level Specifications Electrical Specifications Starter Motor

Starter Motor
    Notes

Starter Ident. No. [03] 30005925
    Free Speed Test

Amps 75

Volts 11
    [03] Automatic transmission.

Starter Ident. No. [02] 30005226

Free Speed Test

Amps 60

Volts 11
    [02] Manual transmission.

© 2005 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.

Try to crank the engine at an average of 75 amps on this car, with much larger cables for 30 seconds... then look for smoke

...how long will you hold the throttle wide open on your boat with this fan running at 57 amps ?

Till you see smoke I guess

+1
    More air is good, but on an EFI motor without a mass airflow sensor, like Kurt says, we need more fuel or a better fuel delivery method.

There IS a way to force more air/fuel into the motor...its called a supercharger.

I for one really dont want all the extra weight of batteries, cables, fans, switches or ducts.

KNR I will be talking to you real soon...you have a local 03' EFI boat with a Mass Air Temp Sensor !!!

BBUUHHAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Can you say Guinea Pig?

I have been doing some research on this subject. A pissed off buyer has post an add on ebay about the fans. Save some money and amps and go to the Hobby shop and buy a Wattage Power Fan 400/6 for the jet planes and install it. The fan has good cfms and pull less amps then the bilge blowers. As soon as I have the time I'm going to try it.

+1
    Again..never say never. If elevation can help or hinder performance, then we know air is important. Drawing that many amps for any period of time would be asking alot of that little Duracell sitting under the seat. BUT, pressurizing the cabin does help. I have seen it in the early models as I stated. You test turtles work on getting those throttle bodies bigger and get Greg at Advent to get a proper programable ignition, you're gonna make lots of power.

The electric sc may give a boost..I thought cutting holes in my front bucket would'nt do anything, I was wrong. You do not know until you try.

We put 2-4inch blowers into the old style GP's and did'nt get anything, probably because the hulls leak like a g-string on a fat woman. But this little piece of equipment puts out 800-1,000 cfms. Thats huge.

+1
    leak like a g-string on a fat woman
    LMAO!!!!!! I just spit my coffee out !!!

I am sure pressurizing the hull will do something, it has been talked about for years I am finding out after some research...I understand they banned it on some types of class racing.

I am looking for consistant power. Why not just put a air scoop to force 60+ mph air into the hull?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information