Question 2001 Virage TX overheating on hose

Hi Guys,
    I've just got rid of my old Sea-Don't & decided to buy a decent ski. It's a 2001 Polaris Virage TX 1200. It's a lovely ski, but it's been garaged for quite a while.
    I decided to hook up the hose to it & give it a bit of a run. However, I got the engine overheat light up on the dash after a couple of minutes on the hose.
    I've opened up the thermostat & there was a little corrosion on it. Also, the pop-off valve was a bit worn on the splines.

Is it ok to run the ski without these components - until the new parts I've ordered arrive?

OR is it maybe something else?

All help will be gratefully recieved.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Polaris forum on the Hulk!

The reverse flush connection is not intended for long term engine operation. The water flow is not the same as during normal operation, and the cylinders are not evenly cooled. Use the flush connection for short engine runs only.

Counter-intuitively, the presence of the thermostat improves engine cooling when reverse flushing. It the thermostat or the pressure actuated plunger are removed, or stuck open, then the hose water flow simply flows out the exit hose, without going through the engine.

Also, the seals around the drive shaft in the through-hull bearing (and inside the jet pump stator) depend on the water flow through the pump tunnel to keep them from overheating.

When properly greased, the through-hull bearings should be run no more than 2 minutes maximum, with a cool down period before doing it again.

If you need to run the engine longer, or want better cooling on the hose, then connect disconnect the 3/4 inch cooling water inlet hose at the base of the jet pump (inside the hull), and connect your garden hose there.

For engine runs longer than 2 minutes, also remove the jet pump and drive shaft, to protect the bearing seals from over heating.

If you don't have it, you can download the 2002 Service Manual from here.

Do some searching on here. There is lots of information regarding cleaning and checking your cooling system, and the rest of the engine and the hull.

When operating IN the water, you can run with the thermostat and/or pressure bypass plunger removed. The engine will receive excess cooling. If you operate in cold waters, this can cause the engine to run sub-optimally.

Smile Thanks

Thanks for your advice. I put the thermostat back in & took the ski out this afternoon (1st time)!
    Not a problem! I think I'm too used to my old Sea-Don't, which needed ages on the hose to flush out.

All I got to do now is sort out my reverse gate! The selector moves, but the gate doesn't. The cable is ok, so I'm going to have to remove the reverse unit to find out why.
    Thanks again for your help.

+1
    Wrong thread.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 08-15-2008 at 07:43 PM.

You sure it's not a TXi? The TX should not have a pop off valve or thermostat.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    [quote=skiversinc;764287...2001 Polaris Virage TX 1200...[/quote]Do update your Profile, so we can keep track of who has what, and such...

Is your engine fuel injected, or carburetors?

BTW, we love pictures here!

Thread Information