PWC accident in Islamorada

Smugglers Cove is on Snake Creek, as is the Coast Guard. I wonder how fast she was going.

From Keysnet.com
    http://www.keysnet.com/212/story/18000.html

A Melbourne woman traveling in a personal-watercraft tour from Islamorada suffered critical injuries Wednesday.
    Patricia Cerve, 31, was flown by air ambulance to Ryder Trauma Center in Miami after initial treatment at Mariners Hospital in Tavernier.
    Cerve was operating a rental PWC and her daughter, 7, was a passenger. They were on a nature tour of nearshore areas, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
    Cerve lost control of the 2008 watercraft in Snake Creek Channel, FWC investigators said. The PWC struck the channel headpin -- the marker farthest from shore -- head-on.
    A U.S. Coast Guard boat that was heading out on patrol from the nearby Islamorada Coast Guard station arrived on the scene soon after the crash and transported Cerve and her daughter to shore.
    Cerve remained listed in critical condition Thursday, FWC Officer Bobby Dube says.
    The daughter was treated at Mariners Hospital. Her condition was not available.

as a rider,

as a rider and coastie,
    i was on watch that night. her speed was never measured or attained. BUT you dont get flown to the hospital via helicopter if you hit the bouy at 5 MPH. she was extreemly lucky that the station boat actually saw the accident happen, having station there probably saved her life without such quick action she would not have lived.

boating saftey is no joke, you must always operate in a safe manner, espcially with your child on board!
    Last edited by 96yam701; 08-17-2008 at 06:52 PM.

I saw, what I think was the pwc she was riding, on Friday. It's at the lot next to the Coast Guard Station on US1. The front of the the ski was crushed about 6 inches, right in the middle. Could be unrelated but that was a hard hit that I saw. You're right with the quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by inothome View Post
    I saw, what I think was the pwc she was riding, on Friday. It's at the lot next to the Coast Guard Station on US1. The front of the the ski was crushed about 6 inches, right in the middle. Could be unrelated but that was a hard hit that I saw. You're right with the quick response.

from what i remember it was a rental ski and the rental place had to tow the ski back to port. (i will not speculate on whether the ski was drivable) we dont hold on to property in the keys, there is too much of it floating around here. so i know the rental place has physical custody of the ski.

i dont know islamorada that well to know if the rental place is next to the station, but i know the station is visable from the road. if there is a rental place next to station it is most likely the one.
    Last edited by 96yam701; 08-18-2008 at 03:39 AM.

This was a white and blue Yammi. on a trailer. Across the canal from the CG property.

Thread Information