Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PFDs rated for jetskis

Was on the lake last weekend and met another skier who said DEP gave him a hard time about his pfd not being rated for his jetski. The officer didn't ticket him or anything just told him to spread the word and to get an appropriate vest. His pfd as well as all of mine and just about every other vest I've found are only rated for 50 mph. I did find a Slippery pullover vest that was rated for 100 mph, unfortunately I could only find it in XL. Does anyone know of any other vests that are rated for more than 70 mph I believe they will be USCG Type 4.

First time I heard anyone being told that. When I get stopped I get accused of being drunk or smoking weed by the redneck cops here (don't do weed, never drink while riding). No one ever told me my vest was not rated for the ski.

I picked up a neoprene "SeaDoo" pfd at my local dealer. It is rated to 100mph. You should really try the SeaDoo pfd's on for correct size, I found them to run large. I'm a muscular 235lbs and I fit perfectly in a XL.

...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1
    Yea, I learned this from taking my License Test to get my Boat License.

For a PWC you need like a Class 3 or Type 3, something like that. And you need a certain type of Fire Extinguisher too.

Laws vary by State though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxxed View Post
    Yea, I learned this from taking my License Test to get my Boat License.

For a PWC you need like a Class 3 or Type 3, something like that. And you need a certain type of Fire Extinguisher too.

Laws vary by State though.
    Type 3 is correct. (jacket style) and depending on the state, a B1 fire ext may be required. However, the Fire Ext is always required, even if the state doesn't call for it, as its a Federal law.

There is no such thing as a PWC rated vest. Just the impact ratings, which claim that they will stay on you at "X" mph. As an earlier poster said, Sea-Doo's are rated at 100mph. Most are rated at 50 mph

I have never seen any state call for a specific rated vest (except they all say Type 3) for PWC's. What state are you located in?

+1
    http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/boatin...sguide2008.pdf

If your zip code in your profile is for Ct., their own boating manual only says that you must wear a vest. Any type okay. inflatable is the only one not allowed. Above link and then I think its page 49 in the book.

I am in CT. All of my vests are Type 3, what the law requires. The DEP Officer's problem lied in the fact that we are all riding skis capable of speeds far in excess of 50 mph. So if you come off at full speed the vest can be ripped off your body and now more than likely when you really need the vest because you've been injured it isn't on you. Like I said the guy didn't have any animosity about the whole intertchange he implied the Officer was very nice just wanted him to know that his pfd wasn't appropiate for jetskis and that he should find one that was. The reason I posted the thread was I had been unable to find any locally or online that had a speed rating above 70 mph.

Zone 5 thank you for the heads up on the SeaDoo vests.

Michigan requires Type 1, 2 or 3. 3 being the only practical vest. I've seen vests that say they are not rated for PWC, like a float coat (vest built into a jacket). I'd like to know a good source for a 100 MPH rated vest also. I'm using a neoprene zip up with two buckles. I recently got tossed, for the first time by the way , at 65 mph and skipped a few but jacket held no problems. I have looked at the slippery vests but don't like the pullover. Sea-Doo is the only one making them????

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zone 5 View Post
    Type 3 is correct. (jacket style) and depending on the state, a B1 fire ext may be required. However, the Fire Ext is always required, even if the state doesn't call for it, as its a Federal law.

There is no such thing as a PWC rated vest. Just the impact ratings, which claim that they will stay on you at "X" mph. As an earlier poster said, Sea-Doo's are rated at 100mph. Most are rated at 50 mph

I have never seen any state call for a specific rated vest (except they all say Type 3) for PWC's. What state are you located in?
    I have never heard of a B1 rating on a fire extinguisher. I beleive most states require 2.5lb extinguisher which should have a minimum of 10BC rating which is Underwiter Labratories rating.

Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    Yea a buddy of mine in the coast guard said that a lot of states are pushing new laws on the water and especially if any boat that can exceed 70mph that they must have a 100mph rated jacket....I talked with a guy at Jet Pilot and he said they only have 2 jackets with that rating

Nomad Nylon
    Flight S/E Nylon

He also told me that not all of the runs on these jackets were tested for this either i just depends when it was produced...Due to the fact that a 50mph rating cost like 40K just to do and then it jumps to 60K for a 100mph test....I was really surprised with the conversation...No wonder you dont see so many of these 100mph ratings. because it cost so much to do....

So to find the 100mph rating on any one of these 2 jackets you need to call a dealer and litteraly ask him to go in back and look inside the jacket for that rating..and if they dont cary them in stock then you need to find someone who does....He told me to call RIVA or Blowsion as they cary these in stock.....

Hope this helps a little.......

Oh and by the way slippery no longer tests for 100mph.....and there is no 100mph rated Neoprene jacket as it cannot withstand 100mph according to test it has to be Nylon...or some space aged SH*T.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information