Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry I've got a major issue with a repair shop..... need some opinions

hey guys,

i have a friend with a 98' seadoo gsx ltd. and he's not real mech. inclined so he takes his ski to a local shop just out side of Panama city, FL. . The first time he took his ski in, the problem was it would hardly get on plane ,so he took it to the shop and he said it needed a pump rebuild...... SO $800.00 later he put a new wear ring, impeller,pump shaft, berrings and seals. we picked the ski up sat. . The next day we took the ski to Crystal lake ( which is a spring fed lake thats a perfect circle, clean and clear , and about 160ft deep in the middle.... 20 miles north of P.C. , fl.). The ski all of a sudden quit running 2-3 hours into riding it. we got the ski back to the shore and found that the battery went completly dead, so my buddy took it back to the local shop to get it fixed. WELL , he got a call back a couple days later from the guy saying that the ski spun a crank berring on top of the battery being dead. we took the ski back home to look it over and i found that the wear ring was chewed the hell up in a couple different areas (not even sure if the guy bothered to look). Now the ski was only rode for 2-3 hours in a fresh water lake that has nothing but sand on the bottom and i could not see any signs of something being sucked into the pump.

Now i'm not trying to point the finger at the guy for the motor spining a crank berring .... it might just be a coincidence(maybe not ) ????
    HOWEVER, it's my understanding that the motor is mounted solid(with the exceptions of the motor mount movements), and the pump housing is solid mounted to the hull, and theres a floating shaft between the two. What the repair shop is trying to tell my friend is that the motor spinning a crank berring caused the pumped to F UP.

It would be great if i could so thoughts on my problem B/c I'm about ready kick this guy in the throat if he doesn't fix the pump or give a refund.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Spinning a crank bearing... there ball bearings??? I'd look for a more knowledgeable shop!!!

well im sure what happen to the motor and neither is the shop , all i know is that there is noise in the motor

i called RIVA today and they said the only thing they could think of is that a motor mount was left loose or broke and caused the motor to shift back and forth. which didn't happen

+1
    How many hours & any mod info would be helpful!

+1
    You'd have to have a major crank bearing failure to destroy your wear ring, and would feel terrible vibration! Grab the PTO and see if it wiggles around! On another note... if your crank blew bearings allowing the PTO to move, it would have lost the crank seals. This would cause the motor to run like crap & very lean if it would even run at all!!!
    Last edited by BigDaddyRXP; 08-14-2008 at 11:26 PM.

it had a coffman pipe on it for about 40 hours , but the ski has 88 total on a SBT motor . no other mods ,well kept and clean inside and out. im not so mad about the motor , but a $800.00 pump rebuild just to have it F'ed UP after 2-3 hours is BS

i could hear some noise when spinning the shaft but no back and forth movement

+1
    Just my 02.... but I'd say the SBT is the motor problem!!!

any more thoughts ???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information