Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kawasaki 250 performance

I just bought a 2007 ultra 250 used with 5 hours on it and had all the recalls completed and it still only runs about 7600 rpm with 65-66 on speedo. from what I am reading there should be another 100 or so rpm. any thoughts or is this normal? boat is stock!

+1
    For speed, never look at the speedo. I hit tops of 64-65 on the speedo while I hit 71.7 on the gps. As far as low rpm's, you will probably want to start with the oil level. If your oil is high, it probably got in your intercooler, so you may need to flush it with gas. Check that and report back.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mygixxer77 View Post
    I just bought a 2007 ultra 250 used with 5 hours on it and had all the recalls completed and it still only runs about 7600 rpm with 65-66 on speedo. from what I am reading there should be another 100 or so rpm. any thoughts or is this normal? boat is stock!

you have to consider location and weather when you mention rpms.

Get a gps so you have a solid base to judge off of.

Yep, I think location is one of the biggest factor. The other day the water temp was about 80-85, air temp was 95, humidity was 60% and as soon as I put in I hit 65.6 at 7650RPM then the next run I couldn't break 7540rpms and speed went to 64.9....so after the engine heated up...she was DONE!

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SE TX Rider View Post
    Yep, I think location is one of the biggest factor. The other day the water temp was about 80-85, air temp was 95, humidity was 60% and as soon as I put in I hit 65.6 at 7650RPM then the next run I couldn't break 7540rpms and speed went to 64.9....so after the engine heated up...she was DONE!

You NEED the intercooler mod and they only cost about $50 to do.

then you get NO heat fade

Waz

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    You NEED the intercooler mod and they only cost about $50 to do.

then you get NO heat fade

Waz
    Ahhh, sirbreaksalot, my dear GreenHulk friend...will this mod be detected by the dealers of the dark underworld???

sorry about that, water temp was around 75 degrees with air temp being the same and running on a flat lake (right before a rain storm). I also had about a quarter tank and the low fuel had already sounded. Oil level does not appear to be high on the stick but I will check again tonight when I am back on it. where do I find the mod for the IC? By reading most the posts the Riva ride plate will help the most on my small fresh water lake.

Thanks for your help!

Yes the riva plate will be the best on smooth water. I ride on some pretty rough lakes and still run the riva. It unhooks alittle but I still prefer it for the speed.

+1
    Here are some possibilities with the oil. You bought it with 5 hours on the ski, so you don't know what the previous owner did. It may have had too much oil before, but the new owner did not flush the intercooler, now you are stuck with the problem. It is not a bad problem, actually very easy to pull the intercooler and flush it. Second, the stock dipstick has actually been found to not give accurate reading because the rubber pieces on the top of the dipstick seal the tube and push your oil level down. This is also an easy fix. Order a new dipstick and cut the rubber pieces off. Only use this dipstick when checking oil level. If I were you, I'd flush the intercooler just to make sure there is nothing there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information